CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia volleyball team (4-3) rounds out non-conference action as it hosts its second and final tournament of the 2021 regular season this weekend in Memorial Gymnasium. The Cavaliers will play to host to Bellarmine (2-6) and Georgetown (4-4) on Friday at 12:30 p.m. and 7 p.m., respectively, followed by Fairleigh Dickinson (4-6) on Saturday at 2 p.m. All six tournament matches are free general admission seating to the public. Face coverings are required inside Mem Gym.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
- All three UVA matches are set to stream on ACCNX.
- Live stats will also be provided for all matches held inside Mem Gym this weekend.
- Fans can also get updates by following Virginia Volleyball’s official Twitter account (@UVAVolleyball).
FULL TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Friday, Sept. 17
Fairleigh Dickinson vs. Georgetown – 10 a.m.
Bellarmine at Virginia – 12:30 p.m.
Bellarmine vs. Fairleigh Dickinson – 4:30 p.m.
Georgetown at Virginia – 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 18
Georgetown vs. Bellarmine – 11:30 a.m.
Fairleigh Dickinson at Virginia – 2 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT
- Last weekend, Virginia went 1-1 at the VCU Invitational (Sept. 10-11) as the Cavaliers came back to defeat VCU in five sets on Friday before falling to then-No. 4 Ohio State in three sets on Saturday.
- Virginia freshman outside hitter Brooklyn Borum was named a VCU Invitational All-Tournament selection after averaging 3.00 kills per set and 3.88 digs per set, while hitting .300 for the tournament. Borum notched her first career double-double against the Rams on Friday after posting 14 kills and 24 digs.
- Bellarmine: 0-0
- Georgetown: 15-11 … Virginia and the Hoyas will meet for the first time since Sept. 8, 2012, when Georgetown swept the Cavaliers in a neutral-site meeting … The first-ever matchup between the two teams was on Oct. 20, 1984, when the Cavaliers won in five sets before the rally scoring format was implemented at the collegiate level.
- Fairleigh Dickinson: 0-0
CAVALIERS WELCOME HEAD COACH SHANNON WELLS
- On April 26, 2021, Virginia Director of Athletics Carla Williams announced the hiring of Shannon Wells as the ninth head volleyball coach in program history.
- Wells came to UVA having spent the last seven seasons at Florida, including the last four seasons in which she served as Associate Head Coach (2017-20).
- While at Florida, Wells guided the Gators to seven consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and achieved a record of 184-33 (.848).