COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 11 Virginia field hockey team (5-2, 0-1 ACC) picked up a 2-1 road victory at No. 24 Ohio State (6-2, 1-0 Big Ten) on Sunday (Sept. 19) at Buckeye Field in Columbus, Ohio.
Makayla Gallen and Taryn Tkachuk scored the Cavaliers’ goals. Freshman goalkeeper Tyler Kennedy made six saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cavaliers dominated the first half on offense, taking all eight shots of the period, but the Buckeyes found their chances in the second half, firing off 14 attempts, with nine penalty corners in the same span. The Cavalier defense held on to a shutout until the final 2:06 of the game when Katie Pyle picked up a rebound off an initial save and found the back of the net.
Gallen gave the Cavaliers their first notch in the scoring column five minutes into the second period when she deflected in an initial shot from Cato Geusgens off a penalty corner. Tkachuk added a goal five minutes into the fourth quarter, tossing a shot into the corner of the net after picking up a pass from Laura Janssen.
- Ohio State held a 14-12 edge in shots and 9-7 on corners
- Tyler Kennedy improves to 2-1 this season, playing the entire game in goal
- Makayla Gallen’s goal is her first of the season
- Taryn Tkachuk has three goals with an assist for seven points, ranking second on the team
- Cato Geusgen’s assist was her first of the year
FROM HEAD COACH MICHELE MADISON
“That was a gritty one. We were able to create a lot of attack opportunities and handle their counterattack, which was dangerous. Makayla Gallen was amazing, giving a monster performance in the backfield. “
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia returns to ACC play on Friday, Sept. 24, playing at No. 15 Wake Forest
- The Cavaliers will be back home at Turf Field on Sunday, Sept. 26, hosting No. 19 Old Dominion at 1 p.m.