Until preseason practice started, @vbcoachwells and her @UVAVolleyball staff didn't know what to expect from @shaffermary14, who played in only two matches last season, but she quickly made believers of them. https://t.co/F2wg3jICOp
— Jeff White (@JeffWhiteUVa) September 22, 2021
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Off to its best start since the 2015 season, the Virginia volleyball team (8-4, 1-1 ACC) travels to No. 2 Pittsburgh (12-0, 2-0 ACC) on Wednesday. First serve is slated for 8 p.m. and is set to broadcast on ACC Network.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
- Courtney Lyle (play-by-play) and Missy Whittemore (analyst) will have the call live on ACC Network.
- Live stats can be accessed on the Cavalier volleyball schedule page on com.
- Fans can also get updates by following Virginia Volleyball’s official Twitter account (@UVAVolleyball).
- The Panthers lead the all-time series, 15-13, and boast a 6-2 advantage when playing in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Pitt is currently riding an eight-match winning streak against the Cavaliers that dates back to Nov. 27, 2015.
- The last time Virginia won on the road against the Panthers was in a five-set victory on Oct. 5, 2013.
- The first-ever meeting between the two teams was on Oct. 24, 1980, which Pitt won 2-0 on a neutral floor.
LAST TIME OUT
- Virginia went 1-1 to open conference play on the road last weekend at NC State (Sept. 24) and North Carolina (Sept. 26).
- Despite a then-season-high 15.5 blocks, 10 aces, and a double-double performance from outside hitter Brooklyn Borum (15 kills, 11 digs), UVA fell 3-1 to the Wolfpack in its ACC opener.
- The Cavaliers rebounded to defeat North Carolina for just the second time in the last 20 meetings between the two teams on Sunday … Borum notched her third consecutive double-double (15 kills, 11 digs), while middle blocker Alana Walker tied her career high of 11 blocks along with 10 kills … UNC’s only other loss at the time was against then-No. 4 Pitt.
ON THE FAST TRACK
- With an overall record of 8-4 through its first 12 matches, Virginia is off to its best start since the 2015 season, when the Cavaliers finished with an overall record of 18-13 and went 10-10 in ACC play.
- Virginia is currently sixth in the nation and second in the ACC in blocks per set (3.00).
- UVA has led its opponents in blocks in 10 of its first 12 matches of the season and has an 8-2 record when out-blocking its opponents.
- Middle blocker Alana Walker has led UVA’s defensive effort with a team-best 80 total blocks on the season, good for 1.82 per set … Walker is currently second in the nation in blocks per set and total blocks and leads the ACC in both categories.
- Last weekend, Walker tied her career high of 11 blocks in UVA’s four-set win at UNC … While playing for Northwestern, Walker set a career-high 11 blocks against Indiana (Nov. 23, 2018).
VIRGINIA IS UNDEFEATED WHEN…
- Virginia is 6-0 when leading its opponents in kills and 7-0 when leading in hitting percentage.
- The Cavaliers are 6-0 this season when winning the first set.
- UVA is 5-0 when holding its opponents to a hitting percentage of .150 or below.