RALEIGH, N.C. – Virginia men’s soccer (5-7-2, 2-4-0 ACC) had two goals in a four-minute span in the second half to defeat NC State (6-5-2, 0-4-2) 2-1 on Friday night at Dail Soccer Stadium.
54’ – UVA: Leo Afonso (Michael Tsicoulias)
58’ – UVA: (Own goal)
64’ – NCST: Jamie Smith
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams had four shots in the first half, and each picked up a save in the opening 45.
- After a corner kick opportunity early in the second half, sophomore Leo Afonso scored his fourth goal in three games with the assist from freshman Michael Tsicoulias.
- UVA added to its lead just four minutes later after an own goal by the Wolfpack at 57:47.
- NC State’s lone goal came in the 64th minute to cut UVA’s lead to one.
- Goalkeeper Holden Brown made two saves in the final minute of play as UVA held on for the win.
- Afonso scored his sixth goal of the season and has four of those in three matches.
- Tsicoulias notched his first collegiate assist.
- Virginia had 10 shots to 11 for the Wolfpack.
- Brown made four saves in the win.
- NC State had a 7-4 advantage in corner kicks.
Virginia hosts its final regular-season home match on Friday, October 22 against Pitt at 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.