CORAL GABLES, Fla. — Virginia outside hitter Brooklyn Borum collected her fifth double-double of her freshman campaign in Virginia’s three-set loss (19-25, 16-25, 22-25) at Miami on Sunday. Borum notched a team-high 11 kills on 30 swings and added a team-best 12 digs defensively. With the win Miami, which received 20 votes in the most recent AVCA coaches poll, improved to 15-3 overall and 6-2 in ACC play this season, while the Cavaliers fell to 8-10 overall and 1-7 in league contests.
Miami’s Angela Grieve finished with a match-high 20 kills on 27 swings with just two errors. Grieve’s 20 kills are the most by any Virginia opposing hitter this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams were knotted 13-13 to start the match before Miami secured and gradually extended its lead. The Hurricanes led by as many as six [24-18] before winning game No. 1, 25-19. Virginia outside hitter Grace Turner led the Cavaliers’ effort with five kills on nine swings with just two errors in the first.
- Virginia trailed 16-18 in the second before the Hurricanes capped off the set with eight unanswered to win it, 25-16.
- The third was tied 17-17 before the Hurricanes started to pull away. Miami had set point, 24-20, and the Hoos earned back-to-back points, but the match ended, 25-22, on Grieve’s 20th kill of the contest. Borum tallied five of her 11 kills in game No. 3.
- Virginia outside hitter Brooklyn Borum tallied her fifth double-double of her freshman campaign.
- Borum’s five double-doubles on the year are the most by any Cavalier so far this season.
- Borum’s performance also marked her second double-double in a three-set match this year.
- The Cavaliers hit .255 with 39 kills and 14 attack errors on 98 swings … UVA’s hitting percentage of .255 in Sunday’s match marked a season-high among conference matches.
- The Cavaliers travel to No. 2 Louisville (17-0, 7-0 ACC) and Notre Dame (7-10, 4-3 ACC) on Friday and Sunday, respectively.
- Friday’s matchup against the second-ranked Cardinals is slated for 7 p.m., while Sunday’s contest with the Fighting Irish is set for 1 p.m.
- Both matches are expected to stream on ACCNX.