CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s soccer team (6-7-3, 2-4-1 ACC) closes its regular season on the road at No. 13 Duke (10-3-1, 4-2-1 ACC) on Friday, October 29 at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed on ACCNX.
Game Coverage: ACCNX is available to authenticated subscribers of ACC Network via the ESPN App. Links for the live stream and in-game live stats are available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also follow the Virginia men’s soccer official twitter account (@UVAMenSoccer) for in-game updates.
- Virginia is 3-1-2 in its last six matches, including 2-0-1 in its last three ACC contests.
- The Cavaliers defeated Boston College (2-1) and NC State (2-1) and scored with 2.2 seconds remaining in regulation to eventually tie 2-2 with then-No. 10 Pitt in double overtime.
- UVA is coming off a 2-0 victory over Mary Washington on Monday (Oct. 25).
- Oliver Gerbig scored his first career goal and Kome Ubogu scored his fourth goal of the season in the win.
- Jeremy Verley finished with a career-high two assists.
- Leo Afonso leads Virginia with seven goals, scoring four of those in the last five matches. Afonso is second in the ACC in shots per game (3.29) and fifth in goals per game (.50).
- Paul Wiese ranks fourth in the ACC in assists with six.
- Goalkeeper Holden Brown leads the ACC in saves (71) and is third in save percentage (.772).
- Friday will be the 92nd meeting between Virginia and Duke in a series that dates to 1946.
- Virginia holds a 42-39-10 edge in the all-time series and is 17-13-3 in games under head coach George Gelnovatch.
- Duke has an 18-15-7 advantage in games played in Durham, N.C.
- The Blue Devils won the most recent meeting, 3-1, on March 28, 2021, in Charlottesville.
- UVA’s last win was a 3-1 victory at Duke on Sept. 13, 2019.
- Duke most recently played Notre Dame to a 1-1 draw on Friday (Oct. 22).
- Thorleifur Ulfarsson leads Duke with 21 points on 10 goals and one assist. Ulfarsson also has a league-leading four game-winning goals.
- Shakur Mohammed has a team-high five assists.
- Goalie Eliot Hamill leads the ACC in save percentage (.803) and is second in saves per game (4.08).
Brackets for the ACC Tournament will be announced on Friday after the conclusion of the matches. The tournament begins on Wednesday, November 3.