CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Virginia freshman outside hitter Brooklyn Borum hit a season-high .391 after posting 11 kills on 23 swings with just two attack errors in Sunday’s three-set loss (20-25, 23-25, 23-25) to Wake Forest (12-11, 3-9 ACC) inside Memorial Gymnasium. Defensively, Borum also tallied five digs and was error-less in serve receive. The Cavaliers (8-14, 1-11 ACC) were out-blocked by Wake, 5-4, marking the eighth time an opponent led UVA in blocks this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Virginia cut the Wake Forest lead to two (22-20), the Demon Deacons signaled for timeout. Coming out of the huddle, Wake scored the final three points of the set to win it, 25-20. The Cavaliers were led by Borum in game No. 1, who tallied five kills on 10 swings with no errors.
- Wake led 17-16 before both teams traded points for 12 straight plays. Borum’s eighth kill of the match tied the second, 23-23. Then, the Demon Deacons registered back-to-back points on a kill and block to win the set, 25-23. Middle blocker Abby Tadder and outside hitter Jayna Francis posted four kills each. Tadder took seven swings without an error. Libero Kristen Leland tallied five digs of her 13 digs in game No. 2.
- Virginia led 15-11 before Wake embarked on a 5-0 to take the lead, prompting the Cavaliers to call for time. Later in the set, Virginia again trailed by four (23-19), but scored four straight points to tie the set, 23-23. Once again, the Demon Deacons signaled for a timeout before scoring back-to-back points to close out the set, 25-23, and match.
- Virginia freshman outside hitter Brooklyn Borum hit a season-high .391 after posting 11 kills on 23 swings with just two errors.
- For the weekend, Borum was a combined 66-for-68 (.971) in serve receive against the Hokies on Friday and the Demon Deacons (Sunday).
- Virginia libero Kristen Leland posted a match-high 13 digs, which tied for third most by an individual performances among three-set matches this season.
- Virginia’s first-ever ACC victory inside Mem Gym was a five-set win over Wake Forest on Oct. 6, 1983.
- The Cavaliers return to Mem Gym to host Boston College (13-12, 3-8 ACC) on Friday at 7 p.m. and Syracuse (15-8, 4-7 ACC) on Sunday at noon.
- Friday’s contest is slated to stream on ACCNX, while Sunday’s match will broadcast on RSN.