PHILADELPHIA – The Virginia men’s squash team (1-3) suffered an 8-1 loss at No. 1 Penn (5-0) on Friday (Nov. 19) at the Penn Squash Center in Philadelphia, Pa.
Sophomore Myles McIntyre picked up the point with a win at six in a five-game match against Yash Bhargava. McIntyre trailed 2-1 when he battled for a 13-11 win in the fourth game. He closed out the victory with an 11-6 win in the fifth game.
FROM HEAD COACH MARK ALLEN
“Second-year Myles McIntyre pulled out another great win for us today, fighting tooth and nail to score our lone point against top-ranked Penn. But every one of his teammates turned in the sort of effort they can be proud of. The Quakers are strong and skilled from top to bottom and absolutely deserve their billing as the #1-ranked team in the nation. So despite the 8-1 loss, I know that we were, collectively, a tougher and better team than we have been so far this season. We measured ourselves against the best today and in doing so we turned up a number of strengths that we will continue to build upon this weekend and beyond.”
- Bhargava loss is the first loss for the Penn men this season as they had swept their first four matches 9-0
- Myles McIntyre’s win was the first by a Cavalier over a Quaker. Penn had won the first two meetings in 2017 and 2018 by 9-0 scores
- The losses by Aly Hussein and Omar El Torkey were their first of the season
- Freshmen Charles Braff and Evan Hajek played their first scoring matches of their collegiate careers. Both had played exhibition matches last weekend. Braff played at the eight position while Hajek was at nine
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia plays its second of three road games against Ivy League opponents when it plays at No. 3 Princeton on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
#1 Penn 8, #8 Virginia 1
1 | Andrew Dougals (PENN) def. Aly Hussein (M_UVA) 11-8, 11-5, 15-17, 13-11
2 | Aly Abou El Einen (PENN) def. Omar El Torkey (M_UVA) 11-8, 11-1, 11-2
3 | James Flynn (PENN) def. Taha Dinana (M_UVA) 11-9, 11-5, 11-5
4 | Nicholas Spizzirri (PENN) def. Cullen Little (M_UVA) 11-5, 11-1, 11-5
5 | Dillon Huang (PENN) def. Tyler Mackesy (M_UVA) 11-4, 11-3, 11-4
6 | Myles McIntyre (M_UVA) def. Yash Bhargava (PENN) 11-9, 6-11, 8-11, 13-11, 11-6
7 | Dana Santry (PENN) def. Will Holey (M_UVA) 9-11, 11-3, 11-6, 11-9
8 | Nathan Tze Bing Kueh (PENN) def. Charles Braff (M_UVA) 11-5, 11-5, 11-4
9 | Saksham Choudhary (PENN) def. Evan Hajek (M_UVA) 11-3, 11-3, 11-3