CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 8 Virginia men’s squash team (4-4, 2-0 MASC) picked up a 9-0 win against No. 13 MIT (5-4, 1-1 MASC) on Saturday (Dec. 4) at the McArthur Squash Center.
The Cavaliers won seven of the nine matches in three games.
For the second day in a row, junior Omar El Torkey had the most dominant victory of the day, winning 11-2, 11-1, 11-1 at position two in a match that lasted on 14 minutes. Freshman Charles Braff picked up his first collegiate with a 11-3, 11-4, 11-1 victory against Stuart Rucker at position nine.
- Aly Hussein, Omar El Torkey and Myles McIntyre all improved to 7-1 this season
- Cullen Little improved to 5-3 this season
- Virginia has swept both of their conference matches this season. They opened the year with a 9-0 win at Navy
- Virginia is 4-0 all-time against the Engineers and has swept them in both of the last two meetings
FROM HEAD COACH MARK ALLEN
“The men played very well today and came away with a very decisive win over a potentially tricky opponent in MIT. Omar, who is always a class act, played impeccable squash to give up just a total of 4 points in 3 games, and captain’s Tyler Mackesy and Will Holey both had nice confidence boosting wins in front of their home crowd. Really, everyone was locked in and looking good, and the win brought us to 4-4 on the season. The match tomorrow against F&M presents the opportunity to move into winter break with a winning record, so I’m certain the team will be ready and raring to go again.”
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia closes out the weekend with another MASC match, hosting No. 16 Franklin & Marshall (1-6, 1-1 MASC) on Sunday at 11 a.m.
#8 Virginia 9, #13 MIT 0
1 | Aly Hussein (M_UVA) def. Aman Sanger (MIT) 11-5, 11-6, 11-7
2 | Omar El Torkey (M_UVA) def. Joe O’Connor (MIT) 11-2, 11-1, 11-1
3 | Taha Dinana (M_UVA) def. Eli Kramer (MIT) 11-5, 11-4, 11-5
4 | Cullen Little (M_UVA) def. Nikhil Kakarla (MIT) 11-8, 11-6, 11-6
5 | Tyler Mackesy (M_UVA) def. William Wu (MIT) 11-3, 11-5, 9-11, 11-5
6 | Myles McIntyre (M_UVA) def. Collin Wen (MIT) 11-5, 11-8, 11-6
7 | CJ Baldini (M_UVA) def. Keith Lamp (MIT) 11-8, 12-14, 11-4, 11-2
8 | Will Holey (M_UVA) def. Saechow Yap (MIT) 11-4, 11-8, 11-7
9 | Charles Braff (M_UVA) def. Stuart Rucker (MIT) 11-3, 11-4, 11-1