PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The No. 6 Virginia women’s squash team (7-3) earned an 8-1 victory over Colby (0-9) on Sunday, Jan. 23 in Philadelphia, Pa. as the Cavaliers split a pair of weekend matches on the road.
Virginia commanded the match early, winning the first seven games in a row. Sydney Maxwell kicked things off with three consecutive 11-3 victories to secure the first point for the cavaliers. Caroline Pellegrino turned in the largest margin of victory as she conceded just four points in a three-game sweep (11-1, 11-3, 11-0) of Colby’s Stephanie Keane.
Maria Moya was defeated in a tight final match for the Hoos as she fell 4-11, 11-8, 4-11, 8-11 to Andrea Lee.
- Virginia improves to 7-3 on the season
- The Cavaliers are 3-0 coming off a loss this season
- In positions two through nine on the ladder, Virginia swept each match
- The Cavaliers improve to 2-0 all-time against Colby
FROM HEAD COACH MARK ALLEN:
“After a couple of cancelled matches, we all appreciated the chance to get back out on the court and compete again. Unfortunately, we had lost some of the momentum from the four-game win streak we put together at the close of last semester. The Drexel matches served as a reminder of just how close and competitive this league is. To win against the top teams, we have to come out ready to compete at all 9 positions.”
“One of the hallmarks of our program is our resilience and our ability to derive motivation from any loss. A pair of decisive wins over Colby today has us pointing back in the right direction. And I know that both squads have the depth of character that it will take to get back to top form ahead of next month’s MASC Championships.”
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia will return home for a pair of matches with Denison (Jan. 29) and Dickinson (Jan. 30) at the McArthur Squash Center.
No. 6 Virginia 8, Colby 1
- | Andrea Lee (COLBY) def. Maria Paula Moya (W_UVA) 11-4, 8-11, 11-4, 11-8
- | Sydney Maxwell (W_UVA) def. Clara Lehv (COLBY) 11-3, 11-3, 11-3
- | Maureen Foley (W_UVA) def. Karla Dominguez (COLBY) 11-2, 11-5, 11-1
- | Caroline Baldwin (W_UVA) def. Sabrina Teope (COLBY) 11-2, 11-3, 11-2
- | Mandy Haywood (W_UVA) def. Juliette Love (COLBY) 11-5, 11-1, 11-7
- | Nicolina Tessitore (W_UVA) def. MacKenzie O’Shea (COLBY) 11-2, 11-1, 11-2
- | Caroline Pellegrino (W_UVA) def. Stephanie Keane (COLBY) 11-1, 11-3, 11-0
- | Julia Curran (W_UVA) def. Brigid Woeflel (COLBY) 11-4, 11-3, 11-1
- | Annabelle MacTaggart (W_UVA) def. Adelaide Cline (COLBY) 11-1, 11-2, 11-4
Exh. | Emma Jinks (W_UVA) def. Greta Drefeke (COLBY) 11-1, 11-2, 11-1