PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The No. 8 Virginia men’s squash team (6-5) found its way back into the win column with a decisive win over Colby (2-6) to close out a pair of weekend matches in Philadelphia on Sunday, Jan. 23.
For the first time this season, all nine Cavaliers won their matches in three games. Teddy Durfee set things in motion for the Hoos as he breezed through his match with Colby’s Shearer Xi. Durfee conceded just three points in the win (11-1, 11-2, 11-0).
From top to bottom the Cavaliers made quick work of Colby. The longest match of the day featured Virginia’s Cj Baldini who defeated Colby’s Rintaro Yamamoto (11-4, 11-4, 11-6) in just 32 minutes.
- Aly Hussein and Myles McIntyre extended their win-streaks to seven
- CJ Baldini has won his list six matches
- Virginia swept every match of the day for the first time this season
- The Cavaliers improve to 2-0 all time against Colby. Both matches ended in 9-0 victories for the Hoos
FROM HEAD COACH MARK ALLEN:
“After a couple of cancelled matches, we all appreciated the chance to get back out on the court and compete again. Unfortunately, we had lost some of the momentum from the four-game win streak we put together at the close of last semester. The Drexel matches served as a reminder of just how close and competitive this league is. To win against the top teams, we have to come out ready to compete at all 9 positions.”
“One of the hallmarks of our program is our resilience and our ability to derive motivation from any loss. A pair of decisive wins over Colby today has us pointing back in the right direction. And I know that both squads have the depth of character that it will take to get back to top form ahead of next month’s MASC Championships.”
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia will return home for a pair of matches with Denison (Jan. 29) and Dickinson (Jan. 30) at the McArthur Squash Center.
No.8 Virginia 9, Colby 0
- | Aly Hussein (M_UVA) def. Dylan Tymkiw (COLBY) 11-6, 11-5, 11-5
- | Taha Dinana (M_UVA) def. Jonathan Sosa (COLBY) 11-4, 11-5, 11-3
- | Cullen Little (M_UVA) def. Adrian Castillo (COLBY) 11-7, 11-8, 11-4
- | Tyler Mackesy (M_UVA) def. Alex Spafford (COLBY) 11-1, 13-11, 13-11
- | CJ Baldini (M_UVA) def. Rintaro Yamamoto (COLBY) 11-4, 11-4, 11-6
- | Myles McIntyre (M_UVA) def. Duda Voldman (COLBY) 11-2, 11-2, 11-4
- | Drew Barr (M_UVA) def. Kit Illick (COLBY) 11-6, 11-6, 11-4
- | Evan Hajek (M_UVA) def. Tyler Burt (COLBY) 11-1, 11-6, 11-8
- | Teddy Durfee (M_UVA) def. Shearer Xi (COLBY) 11-1, 11-2, 11-0
Exh. Will Holey (M_UVA) def. Alexander Halprin (COLBY) 11-4, 11-3, 11-2