LANCASTER, Pa. – The No. 7 Virginia women’s squash team (12-4) split matches in the final day of the Mid Atlantic Squash Conference Championships as the team misses out on capturing the title after a thrilling 5-4 match with No. 6 Drexel on Sunday afternoon in Lancaster, Pa.
Virginia dominated in their first match of the day as the Hoos defeated the hosts, Franklin & Marshall in a 9-0 sweep. The opening victory was claimed by Annabelle MacTaggart as she defeated Audry Berling 11-5, 11-1, 11-6. The clinching point came courtesy of Julia Curran in an 11-4, 11-6, 11-1 dispatching of Gabby Ramos in the ninth position on the ladder. The win set up a rematch for the Cavaliers with Drexel, with the MASC title on the line.
The Hoos jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after Maureen Foley bested Brooke Herring 11-8, 11-8, 11-4. However, the Dragons responded with three consecutive victories of their own to take a 3-1 advantage. Drexel clinched the victory at 5-3 as Alina Bushma defeated Maria Moya 5-11, 4-11, 10-12. Emma Jinks finished the match with a victory over Noa Romero Blazquez to make the score 5-4.
FROM HEAD COACH MARK ALLEN:
“Just as they have done all season long, the women fought so hard and were very, very close to coming away as champions today. Credit to Drexel, they are a strong team and deserved the win. We will take a couple of days rest and then begin our preparations for the National Championships where this team will almost certainly be competing in the Howe Cup for the first time ever. Without doubt this has been the strongest women’s squash team UVA has ever fielded and I’m looking forward to seeing them compete for an end of season top-eight ranking.
- Julia Curran has won her last nine matches this season
- Annabelle MacTaggart has won her last eight matches this season.
- Virginia finishes the round robin tournament with a record of 3-1
- The Cavaliers have never recorded a victory against Drexel in the five meetings between the two schools
- Drexel finished the tournament with an unbeaten 4-0 record
ON THE HORIZON
- The CSA Team Championships are scheduled to begin on Friday, Feb. 25 in Boston, Mass.
No. 7 Virginia 9, No. 18 Franklin & Marshall 0
- Meagan Best (W_UVA) def. Audrey Bberling (FM) 11-5, 11-1, 11-6
- Olivia Walsh (W_UVA) def. Aryaa Ogale (FM) 11-2, 11-5, 12-10
- Emma Jinks (W_UVA) def. Emily Knapp (FM) 11-0, 11-3, 11-3
- Sydney Maxwell (W_UVA) def. Catherine Costin (FM) 11-3, 11-3, 11-5
- Caroline Baldwin (W_UVA) def. Zarine Gidwaney (FM) 11-2, 11-5, 11-6
- Erin O’Connor (W_UVA) def. Emily Bartos (FM) 11-2, 11-7, 11-3
- Caroline Pellegrino (W_UVA) def. Zoe Quayle (FM) 11-8, 11-3, 11-5
- Annabelle MacTaggart (W_UVA) def. Pratiksha Mishra (FM) 11-2, 11-2, 11-4
- Julia Curran (W_UVA) def. Gabby Ramos (FM) 11-4, 11-6, 11-1
Exh. Griffin Dewey (W_UVA) def. Iman Jaikishan (FM) 11-2, 11-2, 11-2
No. 6 Drexel 5, No. 7 Virginia 4
- Karina Tyma (DREXEL) def. Meagan Best (W_UVA) 11-9, 11-13, 11-8, 9-11, 11-5
- Alina Bushma (DREXEL) def. Maria Paula Moya (W_UVA) 11-5, 11-4, 12-10
- Margot Prow (DREXEL) def. Olivia Walsh (W_UVA) 9-11, 19-17, 11-6, 7-11, 11-7
- Emma Jinks (W_UVA) def. Noa Romero Blazquez (DREXEL) 4-11, 11-4, 11-8, 3-11, 11-4
- Sydney Maxwell (W_UVA) def. Sanya Vats (DREXEL) 7-11, 11-7, 11-9, 7-11, 11-6
- Maureen Foley (W_UVA) def. Brooke Herring (DREXEL) 11-8, 11-8, 11-4
- Ciara Richards (DREXEL) def. Caroline Baldwin (W_UVA) 11-7, 11-5, 7-11, 11-3
- A. Rusydina Rosli (DREXEL) def. Erin O’Connor (W_UVA) 11-13, 11-9, 11-7, 11-4
- Mandy Haywood (W_UVA) def. Lydia Robinson (DREXEL) 5-11, 11-7, 11-7, 11-8
Exh. Nicolina Tessitore (W_UVA) def. Katerina Cummings (DREXEL) 11-3, 11-2, 11-9