PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The No. 7 Virginia men’s squash team (12-7) fell to No. 3 Trinity (16-3) in the first consolation round of the Potter Cup by a score of 5-4 at the Penn Squash Center on Saturday afternoon.
Virginia threw the opening punch as Omar El Torkey took down Mohamad Sharaf at the second position on the ladder. El Torkey wasted no time dispatching Sharaf in three games (11-7, 11-9, 11-9). Myles McIntyre quickly doubled Virginia’s lead with a victory in the sixth position on the ladder to give the Hoos a 2-0 lead.
However, Trinity battled its way back into the match. Despite Virginia’s Will Holey leading Trinity’s Advait Adik two games to none, Adik strung together three consecutive victories to defeat Holey and earn the Bantams first point of the match. Soon after, Cullen Little fell to Aly Tolba as Trinity leveled the match at 2-2.
After trading two more points on the ladder, the match came down to a dual between Virginia’s CJ Baldini and Will Curtis at the seventh position. Down two games to none and his back to the wall, Baldini rallied with two victories of his own, but came up short in the deciding contest.
- Virginia falls to 0-3 against Trinity all-time
- Omar El Torkey improved to 14-3 on the season
- The Cavaliers will look to secure a seventh-place finish in their final match of the season
- Virginia will go toe-to-toe with MASC rivals Drexel for the third time this season
- The Cavaliers dropped the regular season matchup with the Dragons by a score of 6-3
- Virginia topped Drexel in the MASC Championship to earn its third consecutive title
- Virginia is 1-5 against Drexel all-time
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia will face off with Drexel tomorrow (Feb. 20) at 8:30 a.m. in Philadelphia, Pa.
No. 3 Trinity 5, No. 7 Virginia 4
- Miko Aijanen (TRINITY) def. Aly Hussein (M_UVA) 11-7, 11-4, 5-11, 10-12, 13-11
- Omar El Torkey (M_UVA) def. Mohamed Sharaf (TRINITY) 11-7, 11-9, 11-9
- Taha Dinana (M_UVA) def. Abdelrahman Nassar (TRINITY) 11-3, 11-5, 11-7
- Aly Tolba (TRINITY) def. Cullen Little (M_UVA) 15-17, 11-4, 11-5, 11-2
- Julius Benthin (TRINITY) def. Tyler Mackesy (M_UVA) 12-10, 11-7, 11-6
- Myles McIntyre (M_UVA) def. Mateo Restrepo (TRINITY) 11-6, 11-4, 7-11, 11-7
- Will Curtis (TRINITY) def. CJ Baldini (M_UVA) 11-8, 11-9, 7-11, 8-11, 11-6
- Advait Adik (TRINITY) def. Will Holey (M_UVA) 6-11, 8-11, 14-12, 11-2, 11-6
- Charles Braff (M_UVA) def. Utkarsh Baheti (TRINITY) 14-16, 11-5, 13-15, 11-8, 11-1