BOSTON, Mass. – The No. 7 Virginia women’s squash team (13-6) fell to No. 3 Princeton (11-3) by a score of 6-3 in the first consolation match of the Howe Cup in Boston, Mass. on Saturday evening.
Virginia battled for the duration of the match against the third-seeded Tigers. Meagan Best took a point from the top of the ladder as she defeated Andrea Toth in three games (11-7, 11-6, 12-10). Emma Jinks also delivered a sweep of Raneem El Torkey in the third position (11-5, 11-5, 11-9). Nicolina Tessitore took down Anna Goodman in four games.
Despite the effort, Princeton was too much to overcome as the Tigers took the remaining six points. Maureen Foley gave Emme Leonard all she could handle in a five-game thriller as the individual match ended 10-12, 11-4, 13-11, 5-11, 11-9 in favor of Leonard.
- Virginia falls to 0-5 against the Tigers all-time
- The Cavaliers earned their first points over Princeton with Wins from Best, Jinks and Tessitore
- Nicolina Tessitorre has won her last six matches
- Emma Jinks has won eight of her last 10 matches
- Virginia will take on fourth-seeded Columbia in the final consolation match tomorrow (Feb. 27) at 11 a.m.
No. 3 Princeton 6, No. 7 Virginia 3
- Meagan Best (W_UVA) def. Andrea Toth (PRIN) 11-7, 11-6, 12-10
- Elle Ruggerio (PRIN) def. Maria Paula Moya (W_UVA) 11-7, 11-4, 12-10
- Emma Jinks (W_UVA) def. Raneem El Torky (PRIN) 11-5, 11-5, 11-9
- Caroline Spahr (PRIN) def. Olivia Walsh (W_UVA) 11-8, 11-4, 11-3
- Emme Leonard (PRIN) def. Maureen Foley (W_UVA) 10-12, 11-4, 13-11, 5-11, 11-9
- Katherine Glaser (PRIN) def. Sydney Maxwell (W_UVA) 11-7, 10-12, 11-2, 11-4, 11-8
- Molly Chadwick (PRIN) def. Mandy Haywood (W_UVA) 11-7, 10-12, 11-4, 11-8
- Josephine Klein (PRIN) def. Caroline Baldwin (W_UVA) 11-7, 11-7, 11-5
- Nicolina Tessitore (W_UVA) def. Anna Goodman (PRIN) 9-11, 11-5, 11-3, 11-3