BOSTON, Mass. – The No. 7 Virginia women’s squash team (14-6) took down No. 4 Columbia (7-7) by a score of 6-3 in the final consolation round of the Howe Cup secure a seventh-place finish in the nation’s top division on Sunday afternoon.
The teams traded blows early matching win for win. Erin O’Connor kicked off the scoring with a sweep of Columbia’s Megan Meyerson in the ninth position on the ladder while Maureen Foley secured another point for the Hoos in her victory over Renee Chan in the fifth position.
With the score tied at 2-2, the Cavaliers made their run. Virginia scored three of the next four matches to clinch the victory. It was Emma Jinks who delivered the deciding blow with her sweep of Ellie McVeigh in the third position on the ladder.
- Virginia improves to 1-4 against the Lions all-time
- The Cavaliers split the pair of matches against Columbia this season
- Virginia secures its highest ever team finish to a season with the seventh national ranking
- Caroline Baldwin earned her 12th victory of the season (12-7)
- Emma Jinks won her 11th match of the season (11-4)
- Virginia finishes its season a with a combined 123-55 record individually
The CSA individual championships will begin on Friday, March 4 in Philadelphia, Pa.
No. 7 Virginia 6, No. 4 Columbia 3
- Chan Sin Yuk (COL) def. Meagan Best (W_UVA) 11-4, 12-10, 11-5
- Maria Paula Moya (W_UVA) def. Erica McGillicuddy (COL) 11-3, 11-5, 12-10
- Emma Jinks (W_UVA) def. Ellie McVeigh (COL) 11-7, 11-7, 11-6
- Olivia Walsh (W_UVA) def. Sarah Cao (COL) 11-8, 6-11, 11-4, 9-11, 11-7
- Maureen Foley (W_UVA) def. Renee Chan (COL) 9-11, 11-8, 11-6, 11-7
- Bunny Fox (COL) def. Sydney Maxwell (W_UVA) 11-7, 11-3, 5-11, 11-9
- Elizabeth Lentz (COL) def. Mandy Haywood (W_UVA) 12-10, 11-7, 11-9
- Caroline Baldwin (W_UVA) def. Cynthia Cao (COL) 11-2, 11-4, 11-6
- Erin O’Connor (W_UVA) def. Megan Myerson (COL) 11-7, 11-8, 11-5