NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The No. 13 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (3-4, 0-2 ACC) fell 12-10 on the road at No. 16 Notre Dame (2-4, 1-1 ACC) on Sunday afternoon.
UVA led in shots (34-33) and shots on goal (26-20), but Notre Dame had the edge in draw controls (15-11) and led in saves (16-8).
Senior Ashlyn McGovern and sophomore Morgan Schwab both had three points. McGovern scored two goals with one assist and Schwab had one goal with two assists. Junior Jaime Biskup, sophomore Mackenzie Hoeg and freshman Rachel Clark each had two goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Notre Dame opened the game on a 3-0 run.
- UVA scored when Schwab found McGovern at the 2:43 mark in the first quarter.
- Senior Braeden Dial scored to open the second quarter and cut it to 3-2, but the Irish scored three-straight to lead 6-2 with 8:27 to go in the second quarter.
- Virginia scored the last two goals of the first half with Hoeg and Clark scoring in just over a minute of play. UVA trailed 6-4 at the break.
- Notre Dame went on a 3-0 run to start the second half.
- Virginia scored three in a row with Hoeg, Clark and Biskup netting goals in the run to cut Notre Dame’s lead to 9-7 heading into the fourth quarter.
- The Irish scored the first two goals of the fourth. Biskup recorded her second, but Notre Dame scored again to lead 12-8 with 5:11 remaining.
- Schwab scored then McGovern notched her second of the afternoon, but UVA couldn’t get any closer as time ran out.
- It was the sixth multiple-goal game for McGovern and fifth for Clark this season.
- Schwab had her fourth multiple-assist game of the year.
- Senior Annie Dyson led UVA with three draw controls.
- Two players finished with hat tricks for Notre Dame.
Virginia returns home to host Richmond on Wednesday, March 9 at 5 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.