No. 13 Virginia Plays at Virginia Tech Saturday in the Smithfield Commonwealth Clash
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 13 Virginia women’s tennis team (13-4, 5-3 ACC) plays at Virginia Tech (6-11, 2-6 ACC) in the Smithfield Commonwealth Clash on Saturday, April 2 at 12 p.m. at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
- Live scoring and live video will be available
NOTING THE CAVALIERS
- Virginia rose two spots in this week’s ITA Team Rankings to No. 13 after a pair of 6-1 victories last weekend at Louisville and Notre Dame
- Natasha Subhash comes into the match with a 19-9 record, one win shy of collecting the second 20-win season of her career. She finished her COVID-shortened freshman season with a 26-6 record. She is currently ranked No. 35
- Emma Navarro is ranked No. 3 in the ITA Singles rankings with a 12-1 record at No. 1
- The Cavaliers are a combined 25-5 on the top two singles courts
- UVA is 14-1 at No. 1 doubles and 12-3 at No. 2
- Navarro and Hibah Shaikh are a perfect 7-0 at No. 1 doubles
NOTING THE OPPONENTS
- Charlotte Cartledge is the ACC Freshman of the Week after picking up a pair of wins last weekend including winning the clinching match in the Hokies victory at Louisville
- Semra Aksu has the Hokies’ top dual match win percentage with a 7-3 mark playing at the bottom half of the lineup
- Erika Cheng is 8-6 this spring and is 5-4 in her last 10 matches
- Virginia leads the all-time series 41-5. The Hokies last win in the series came in 1999
SMITHFIELD COMMONWEALTH CLASH
- The Smithfield Commonwealth Clash, originally called the Commonwealth Challenge (2005-2007), has been a part of the UVA-Virginia Tech rivalry since 2014. It is an all-sports points-based program with the Commonwealth Clash trophy presented to the winning school each year for its dominance in head-to-head competitions.
- This match is worth 1.0 points. The Hokies currently lead 9.5-2.5
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia returns home next weekend to host Wake Forest on Friday, April 8 at 4 p.m. and No. 2 NC State on Sunday, Apr. 10 at 1 p.m.
- Friday’s match will be the Cavaliers’ Senior Day match with Sofia Munera and Amber O’Dell being honored in a pre-match ceremony