DURHAM, N.C. – The No. 16 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (6-7, 2-4 ACC) fell 13-8 at No. 7 Duke (13-1, 4-1 ACC) on Saturday afternoon at Koskinen Stadium.
Junior Kiki Shaw led the Cavaliers with three goals and sophomore Morgan Schwab had two goals and one assist. Senior Ashlyn McGovern and sophomore Mackenzie Hoeg each had one goal and one assist.
UVA trailed Duke 27-20 on shots, 16-9 on draw controls and 18-16 on ground balls. UVA had eight saves to nine for the Blue Devils. Katie DeSimone led Duke with four goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After two goals for Duke to open the game, the Cavaliers went on a 3-0 run to lead 3-2 after the first quarter.
- Schwab scored UVA’s first goal with the assist from Hoeg, followed by a goal from Shaw on the assist from McGovern and Kate Miller converted a goal in transition.
- Shaw scored her second of the day to give UVA a 4-2 lead at the 12:44 mark in the second quarter.
- Virginia and Duke traded goals as UVA held a 6-4 lead. The Blue Devils closed the first half on a 3-0 run to lead 7-6.
- Duke continued its run into the third quarter, going ahead 11-6.
- UVA scored two goals in a minute and 27 seconds to cut it to 11-8 with 10:12 remaining.
- Duke scored again at the 8:29 mark and held the Cavaliers scoreless for the remainder of the game.
- McGovern extended her goal-streak to 22 consecutive games.
- It was the first hat trick of the season for Shaw and fourth multiple-goal game for Schwab.
- Hoeg has scored a goal in eight consecutive games and Miller extended her streak to five games with a goal.
- Junior goalkeeper Ashley Vernon had a career-high seven ground balls.
- Senior Myla Grace Barnett and sophomore Maggie Bostain both had two caused turnovers on defense.
Virginia returns home to host VCU on Wednesday, April 6 at 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.