CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 16 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (7-7) cruised to a 23-5 win over VCU (6-6) on Wednesday night at Klöckner Stadium.
UVA had 11 different players score a goal. Junior Kiki Shaw led with four goals, while senior Ashlyn McGovern and freshman Rachel Clark each added a hat trick. Freshman Kate Miller scored a career-high five points with three assists and two goals.
UVA led in shots (44-14), draw controls (25-6) and ground balls (17-14). Virginia was 4-for-7 on free positions and had just 10 turnovers to 19 for VCU. Kelsey McDonnell led the Rams with two goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- McGovern scored 1:15 into the game to put UVA on the board. VCU responded with a goal three minutes later to tie it up.
- Sophomore Mackenzie Hoeg and Clark had back-to-back goals, then sophomore Morgan Schwab and freshman Maureen Duffy scored two consecutive goals to lead 5-2 after the first quarter.
- Shaw scored her first of the game to start the second quarter and VCU made it 6-3 with 13:24 to go in the second.
- UVA closed the first half on a 6-0 run to lead 12-3 at the half.
- The Cavaliers continued the run to start the second half, scoring five-straight to lead 17-3 with 4:34 to go in the third quarter.
- UVA had another 5-0 run and held the Rams to just one goal in each of the last three quarters.
- Shaw’s four goals were a career high. She has scored a hat trick in the last two contests.
- Duffy finished with a career-high two goals.
- Sophomore Aubrey Williams had 11 draw controls and scored her first goal of the season.
- Hoeg had a season-high six draw controls.
- Graduate student Megan Gordon led the Cavaliers with three caused turnovers.
Virginia hosts No. 1 North Carolina on Thursday, April 14 at 8 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium. The game will be broadcast on ACC Network.