CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 5 Virginia women’s tennis team (21-5) opened play at the 2022 NCAA Women’s Tennis Team Championship with a 4-0 victory against Youngstown State (13-10) on Saturday (May 7) on the indoor courts of the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Cavaliers advance to play Princeton (12-10) on Sunday, May 8 at 1 p.m. in the tournament’s second round.
Freshman Elaine Chervinsky and junior Natasha Subhash opened the match with a 6-0 victory against the Penguins’ tandem on court two. Sophomores Emma Navarro and Hibah Shaikh clinched the point with a 6-1 victory on court one.
Navarro made it 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-2 victory at 1-singles. Sophomore Sara Ziodato followed with a 6-1, 6-1 win on court six. Shaikh won the clincher 6-0, 6-2 on court five.
Sunday’s match is scheduled to be played outdoors. Please monitor Virginia’s social media accounts for any weather-related changes.
FROM HEAD COACH SARA O’LEARY
“I thought the girls competed really well. They played very organized, very composed tennis. That’s something we’ve been talking about doing all season and I thought they executed that really well today. It’s been two weeks since our last match, so it’s great to get out there playing another match. It definitely boosts our confidence coming out here and playing strong like we did today. We’re looking forward to tomorrow.”
PRINCETON MATCH-UP NOTES
- Princeton is ranked No. 44 in the latest ITA team rankings
- The Tigers won 4-0 against Army on Saturday in their first-round match
- The Ivy League Champions have won six straight matches
- Virginia is 12-10 all-time against the Tigers
#5 Virginia 4, Youngstown State 0
- #1 Emma Navarro (VA) def. Rosas, Cecilia (YSU) 6-0, 6-2
- #44 Natasha Subhash (VA) vs. Masarikova, Eliska (YSU) 6-4, 4-0, unfinished
- #72 Elaine Chervinsky (VA) vs. Marko, Julia (YSU) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
- Sofia Munera (VA) vs. Rigazio, Elisa (YSU) 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
- Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Stanmore, Jessica (YSU) 6-0, 6-2
- Sara Ziodato (VA) def. Minich, Lili (YSU) 6-1, 6-1
- #3 Emma Navarro/Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Marko, Julia/Rosas, Cecilia (YSU) 6-1
- #62 Elaine Chervinsky/Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Stanmore, Jessica/Minich, Lili (YSU) 6-0
- #73 Sofia Munera/Amber O’Dell (VA) vs. Rigazio, Elisa/Masarikova, Eliska (YSU) 2-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,6,5)
HOW TO FOLLOW
- All matches will stream live on the TennisOne App
- Live scoring will be available through links posted on VirginiaSports.com
- $5 for general admission and $3 for students with a valid ID per day
- Ages 2 and up are required to have a ticket
- Tickets will be available for purchase online, over the phone, or at the Bryant Hall ticket office and can be picked up at the courts
Highlights vs Youngstown State