CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia volleyball program released its 2022 schedule on Wednesday (June 1), which is highlighted by 14 home matches in Memorial Gymnasium.
Under the direction of second-year head coach Shannon Wells, Virginia opens its 44th season at Florida, where Wells served as an assistant coach (2014-20) under longtime head coach Mary Wise. The 2022 Cavaliers debut on Aug. 26 when they take on East Tennessee State. While in Gainesville, Virginia will also face North Florida and the homestanding Gators.
The following weekend, Virginia travels to Cincinnati, Ohio, the hometown of Cavaliers Mary Shaffer and Grace Turner for a tournament at Xavier. In addition to the Musketeers, Virginia will face Purdue Fort Wayne and Eastern Michigan.
The Cavaliers’ home opener in Mem Gym will be against Charlotte on Sept. 9. Virginia rounds out non-conference action by hosting East Carolina, Mercer and Maryland in a home tournament (Sept 16-17).
ACC action begins Sept. 23 when the Cavaliers host NC State. Virginia will play home-and-home league series against the Wolfpack, North Carolina, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech.
Additionally, the Cavaliers will host Pitt, Florida State, Miami, Louisville and Notre Dame in Mem Gym. Virginia’s ACC road slate includes Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Boston College and Syracuse.
Broadcast designations, including matches on ACC Network, will post to VirginiaSports.com once announced by the ACC and ESPN. Start times are subject to change based on broadcast selections.
Admission to all 2022 home Virginia volleyball regular-season matches in Mem Gym are free to the public.
Notes About Virginia Volleyball’s 2022 Schedule
- The 2022 season is Virginia’s 44th in program history. The inaugural season of Virginia volleyball was in 1979.
- This season will be the second under head coach Shannon Wells.
- The Cavaliers will host 14 home matches in 2022.
- Virginia’s 2022 schedule consists of seven 2021 NCAA Tournament teams in Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina and Pittsburgh.
- With a home-and-home series against Virginia Tech, both matches between UVA and the Hokies will be worth 0.5 points toward the Commonwealth Clash standings, presented by Smithfield.
- For the first time in history, Virginia will face Purdue Fort Wayne (Sept. 3) and Mercer (Sept. 16).