CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Despite two late goals from Virginia’s Phil Horton, the Cavalier men’s soccer team dropped its preseason opener against Charlotte by a score of 3-2 on Saturday night (Aug. 13) at Klöckner stadium.
9’ – Charlotte: Kameron Lacey (Alex Willis)
61’ – Charlotte: Virginia Own Goal
82’ – Virginia: Philip Horton (Michael Tsicoulias)
85’ – Virginia: Philip Horton (Jeremy Verley)
87’ – Charlotte: Matthew Kirk
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The 49ers opened the scoring early when Willis threaded a pass behind the Virginia defense for Lacey to put home.
- Virginia threatened to level the score just prior to the halftime whistle as Leo Afonso’s shot, which found the back of the net, was ruled offside by the official.
- After cutting a two-goal lead in half in the 82nd minute, Phil Horton knotted things up in the 85th with a header that found its way into the top corner.
- With just four minutes remaining in the game, Charlotte took the lead and secured the victory with a tap-in effort inside the Virginia six-yard box.
- A total of 29 Cavaliers saw action in the exhibition matchup
- Virginia recorded a total of 17 shots compared to Charlotte’s 15
- Both teams placed seven shots on frame
- Virginia held an 8-7 advantage in corner kicks
- Virginia will host one final exhibition match with Bowling Green at Klöckner Stadium on Saturday (Aug. 20) at 7 p.m. Admission to all preseason games is free.
- The Cavaliers open their regular season on Thursday, August 25 at home against Xavier.
- Season tickets and single game tickets are on sale now at UVATix.com