UVA Falls to UF in Gators Invitational Finale; Francis, Tadder Named to All-Tournament Team
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – After winning its first two matches of the season, the Virginia volleyball team (2-1) fell to No. 15 Florida (3-0), 25-11, 25-7, 25-18, in the final match of the Gators Invitational at the O’Connell Center Saturday night. With a record of 2-1, the Cavaliers finished runners-up at the tournament with wins over ETSU (Aug. 26) and North Florida (Aug. 27).
Jayna Francis and Abby Tadder were named to the All-Tournament Team.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the score tied 4-4 in the first, the Gators tallied five straight points to swing momentum in their favor early on. Later in the set UF fired off eight straight points to lead by as many as 14 (23-9) before closing out the set, 25-11. Grace Turner posted four of six kills in the opening frame.
- Florida carried its momentum into the second, leaping out to a 10-3 lead before the Cavaliers signaled for time. The Gators continued to leave their foot on the gas and closed out the second on a 5-0 run, which they won, 25-7.
- Coming out of the break, the Cavaliers displayed composure and hung with the Gators throughout. A huge block from GG Carvacho and Tadder tied the set, 10-10. However, the Gators scored five of the next six points, which proved to be too much of a deficit for UVA to overcome as UF went on to win set No. 3, 25-18, and the match.
- The Gators extended their lead to 4-0 in the all-time series.
- Jayna Francis and Abby Tadder were named to the Gators Invitational all-tournament team.
- The Gators out-hit UVA .521 to .141, and posted 43 kills to the Cavaliers’ 24.
- Virginia travels to Xavier to face the Musketeers (Sept. 2), Purdue Fort Wayne (Sept. 3) and Eastern Michigan (Sept. 3).