CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s soccer team (0-1-0) looks to earn its first win of the new season when the Cavaliers host Rider (0-1-0) at Klöckner Stadium on Monday (Aug. 29). Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Monday’s match against Rider will be streamed on ACCNX which is available through the ESPN app and at WatchESPN.com for customers who have the ACC Network as a part of their television subscription. Live stats are also available and links to both the live stats and broadcast are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAMenSoccer).
Fans can purchase single-game tickets in advance online at UVATix.com. Reserved seats purchased in advance are $12, and general admission tickets are $8. UVA athletics strongly encourages fans to avoid lines on game day and purchase their tickets online in advance. Single-game tickets will be $15 at the gate on game day for reserved seats if available and $10 for general admission seats. Group packages for parties of 20 or more are $6 and are available for purchase over the phone in advance only.
General admission season tickets are also on sale for $40.
- In their last outing, the Cavaliers fell to Xavier by a score of 1-0 despite not allowing a single shot until the 86th minute of play. The Hoos outshot Xavier by a margin of 19-3.
- Eight Cavaliers made their Virginia debuts in the opener.
- The Cavalier’s eight-game win streak on opening night was snapped on Thursday.
- The last time Virginia lost its first game of the season was in 2013, a year in which the Cavaliers advanced to the NCAA Semifinal round.
- Under head coach George Gelnovatch, Virginia holds a record of 86-32-7 immediately following a loss.
- Virginia has opened a season with consecutive losses in just two of its 26 campaigns under Gelnovatch.
THE SERIES WITH RIDER
- The Cavaliers have matched up with Rider on just two occasions, recording wins in both.
- Both prior matches were held at Klöckner Stadium.
- Virginia has outscored the Broncs by a combined margin of 5-0.
- The last time the two opponents met was in the first round of the 2015 NCAA tournament. Virginia dispatched the Broncs by a score of 2-0 and advanced in the tournament.
NOTING THE BRONCS
- Rider fell in its season opener by a score of 3-0 on the road at Seton Hall. The Broncs conceded all three goals in the first half.
- The Broncs were picked to finish second in the MAAC behind their conference rivals, Marist.
- In 2021, Rider posted a record of 10-7-3 and fell in the MAAC Championship to Marist who claimed the title on penalty kicks.