RALEIGH, N.C. – The No. 1 Virginia women’s swimming & diving team defeated No. 4 NC State (223-130) and No. 18 North Carolina (261-92), while the No. 14 UVA men topped North Carolina (250-103) but fell to No. 4 NC State (89-264) in the tri-meet.
- UVA opened day two with a win in the 200-yard medley relay, as Gretchen Walsh, Alex Walsh, Kate Douglass and Maxine Parker, respectively, went 1:35.71.
- Senior Maddie Donohoe won the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:57.04 and freshman Sophia Knapp was third (10:03.53).
- Freshmen Aimee Canny and Claire Tuggle finished first and second, respectively, in the 200-yard freestyle. Canny was just .24 seconds out of first with a time of 1:46.72 and Tuggle finished in 1:47.94.
- Sophomore Reilly Tiltmann was third in the 100-yard backstroke (53.17).
- Douglass won the 100-yard freestyle by nearly two seconds, finishing in 47.77. Parker was third (49.47) and Tuggle took fourth (50.46).
- A. Walsh finished first in the 100-yard breaststroke (59.90). Freshmen Zoe Skirboll (1:01.64) and Emma Weber (1:01.72) were third and fourth.
- G. Walsh won the 100-yard butterfly for the Cavaliers in a NCAA “A” time of 50.76.
- G. Walsh, Douglass, A. Walsh and Parker teamed up once again, this time for the 400-yard freestyle relay win. The Cavaliers won by seven seconds with a time of 3:14.45.
- The men’s relay team of junior Matt Brownstead, junior Noah Nichols, freshman Kamal Muhammad and senior August Lamb, respectively, finished in 1:27.38.
- Brownstead added a third-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle after finishing third in the 50-yard freestyle on Friday. He clocked in with a time of 43.85.
- The 100-yard breaststroke was a battle until the end, with Nichols finishing just .13 seconds out of first with a time of 53.40 to NC State’s Mason Hunter (53.27).
- UVA closed out the individual events with a sweep of the top three spots in the 200-yard IM. Senior Sean Conway finished first with a time of 1:48.17, Nichols was second (1:48.39) and sophomore Tim Connery was third (1:49.12).
- Brownstead, sophomore Jack Aikins, senior Jack Wright and Lamb, respectively, finished second in the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 2:55.10.
- Senior Jenn Bell and sophomore Lizzy Kaye finished second and third, respectively, on the women’s 1-meter board. Bell scored a 296.30 and Kaye scored a 296.10.
- Senior Joseph Perreault led the UVA men with a sixth-place finish on the 1-meter.
Virginia will hold the Cavalier Invite at the Aquatic & Fitness Center for a last chance meet for times Feb. 3-5.