CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 6 Virginia men’s squash team opened the 2023 MASC Championships with an 8-0 victory over Navy on Friday afternoon at the McArthur Squash Center.
Omar El Torkey made his second start this season at the No. 1 position, winning decisively 3-0. He started the winning for the Cavaliers. Cullen Little finished his match shortly after El Torkey, winning 3-0 at the three position.
Max Velazquez dropped his first game but rebounded to win 3-1 at seven and give the Cavaliers a 3-0 lead over the Midshipmen. Charles Braff trailed 2-1 but came back to win the next two games for a 3-2 win at six.
Patrick Keller made short work of his match with a 3-0 win at eight, only giving up three points in the win, to clinch. Tyler Mackesy cruised to a 3-0 win at four. JP Tew picked up a 3-1 win at two and Teddy Durfee rounded out the sweep with a 3-0 victory at five.
Virginia will play MIT at 9 a.m. on Saturday (Feb.4).
No. 6 Virginia 8, Navy 0
- | Omar El Torkey (UVA) def. Matthew Wang (NAVY) 11-5, 11-4, 11-3
- | JP Tew (UVA) def. Millen Randell (NAVY) 11-9, 8-11, 11-7, 11-4
- | Cullen Little (UVA) def. Henry Sparkman (NAVY) 12-10, 11-9, 11-6
- | Tyler Mackesy (UVA) def. Lucas Spiro (NAVY) 11-3, 11-6, 11-9
- | Teddy Durfee (UVA) def. Thomas Rankin (NAVY) 11-4, 11-3, 11-6
- | Charles Braff (UVA) def. Alexander Orr (NAVY) 7-11, 11-9, 12-14, 11-4, 11-8
- | Max Velazquez (UVA) def. Benjamin Balser (NAVY) 8-11, 11-5, 11-7, 11-7
- | Patrick Keller (UVA) def. Shankar Jambunathan (NAVY) 11-0, 11-1, 11-2