CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Senior Kate Douglass beat her own American Record in the 200-yard breaststroke with her time of 2:01.43 at the Cavalier Invite on Saturday evening at the Aquatic & Fitness Center.
It is the third consecutive year Douglass has posted a UVA or American record in the 200-yard breaststroke time trials at the Cavalier Invite. Douglass set the previous American record at the 2022 NCAA Championships.
UVA also saw four pool records fall on Saturday. Douglass set a pool record in the 100-yard backstroke (50.47) as well as the 200 breast. Freshman Aimee Canny swam a pool record 1:42.78 in the 200-yard freestyle.
Junior Noah Nichols broke UVA great Ed Moses’ 21-year-old pool record in the 100-yard breaststroke. Nichols finished with a 51.44, just .33 seconds off Keefer Barnum’s school record in the event.
- Canny set the pool record in just her third meet since joining the Cavaliers. Canny finished with a 1:42.78 to win the 200-yard freestyle, also the fifth-fastest time in UVA history. Sophomore Gretchen Walsh added her name to UVA’s top 10 in the event, moving into sixth all-time with a 1:43.24.
- Juniors Abby Harter and Sam Baron went 1-2 in the 100-yard butterfly. Harter posted a season-best time of 52.11 and Baron swam a season-best 52.33.
- Ella Nelson improved her season-best time in the 100-yard breaststroke by over a second with a 59.57 in prelims.
- Nelson later swam the second-best time for UVA this season with a 1:53.69 in the 200-yard IM time trials.
- Freshman Carly Novelline won the 100-yard backstroke with a season-best time of 52.22
- Senior Max Edwards improved his 100-yard butterfly time with a season-best 46.97 to win.
- Freshman Matt Heilmann posted the fastest time this season by a Cavalier and an NCAA “B” time with a 3:49.36 in the 400-yard IM. Senior Sean Conway dropped five seconds for his season-best time in the 400-yard IM with a 3:50.36 in prelims.
- Sophomore Jack Aikins won the 200-yard freestyle with UVA’s best time this season in a 1:35.09.
- Sophomore Tim Connery clocked in with a season-best 52.95, becoming UVA’s third fastest swimmer this season in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- Junior Matt Brownstead won the 100-yard backstroke with a season-best time of 46.00.
- In time trials, Connery same the fifth-fastest time in UVA history with a 42.54 in the 100-yard freestyle.
- Freshman Sebastien Sergile notched the third-best time for a Cavalier this season in the 200-yard IM with his 1:46.60.
Virginia closes out the Cavalier Invite on Sunday (Feb. 5) with prelims at 10 a.m. and finals at 4 p.m.