CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 7 Virginia women’s squash team will compete in the MASC Championship on Sunday after winning both matches on Saturday afternoon at the McArthur Squash Center.
Four players went 2-0 on the day for the Cavaliers. Sydney Maxwell won at the No. 1 position against Dickinson and No. 5 spot against Stanford. Maureen Foley won at the two against Dickinson and the six vs. Stanford. Nasreen Hashmi picked up wins at seven and six and Griffin Dewey won at eight and seven.
In UVA’s first match of the day, the Cavaliers cruised to a 9-0 win over MASC newcomer Stanford. Virginia was on the board quickly with 3-0 wins from Hashmi and Caroline Pellegrino at the seven and nine positions, respectively.
Meagan Best earned a 3-0 victory at the top of the ladder to give the Cavaliers a 3-0 lead. Maxwell added a win at five and Emma Jinks rounded out the first wave with a 3-1 win at three to clinch the match.
Dewey blanked her opponent in the final game in her 3-0 sweep at eight. Maureen Foley added a 3-0 win at six. Olivia Walsh continued her unbeaten streak this season with a 3-9 win at four and Lina Tammam closed out the victory with a 3-1 win at No. 2.
No. 7 Virginia 9, Stanford 0
- | Meagan Best (UVA) def. Si Ma (STAN) 11-2, 11-4, 11-8
- | Lina Tammam (UVA) def. Khushi Kukadia (STAN) 11-3, 6-11, 11-5, 11-4
- | Emma Jinks (UVA) def. Miriam Cheng (STAN) 11-7, 9-11, 11-8, 11-4
- | Olivia Walsh (UVA) def. Lucia Bicknell (STAN) 12-10, 11-7, 11-3
- | Sydney Maxwell (UVA) def. Mary Duffy (STAN) 11-7, 11-3, 11-2
- | Maureen Foley (UVA) def. Isabella Rolfe (STAN) 11-4, 11-5, 11-9
- | Nasreen Hashmi (UVA) def. Abigail Alemayeho (STAN) 11-1, 11-1, 11-1
- | Griffin Dewey (UVA) def. Andrea Kitahata (STAN) 11-3, 11-8, 11-0
- | Caroline Pellegrino (UVA) def. Riya Saran (STAN) 11-0, 11-4, 11-4
Virginia’s second match was off to a quick start as well, with Hashmi and Dewey finishing at the same time to put UVA ahead 2-0 in straight games. Nicolina Tessitore made it a 3-0 advantage with her win at three.
Erin O’Connor didn’t lose a point in the first game in her 3-0 win at eight and Julia Curran clinched the match win with her 3-0 victory at five. Eliza Mills won 3-0 at four and Maxwell came back to win 3-1 after dropping the first game at the No. 1 position.
Maureen Foley closed out UVA’s sweep with her win at No. 2.
No. 7 Virginia 8, Dickinson 0
- | Sydney Maxwell (UVA) def. Amna Fayyaz (DC) 6-11, 11-5, 12-10, 11-9
- | Maureen Foley (UVA) def. Whitney Finney (DC) 11-2, 11-2, 11-3
- | Nicolina Tessitore (UVA) def. Victoria Savelius (DC) 11-4, 11-8, 11-5
- | Eliza Mills (UVA) def. Cate Moll (DC) 11-5, 11-5, 11-3
- | Julia Curran (UVA) def. Doxey Loupassi (DC) 11-4, 11-1, 11-6
- | Nasreen Hashmi (UVA) def. Ellissa Goldman (DC) 11-2, 11-7, 11-4
- | Griffin Dewey (UVA) def. Emerson Rains (DC) 11-1, 11-1, 11-2
- | Erin O’Connor (UVA) def. Katelynn Young (DC) 11-0, 11-5, 11-5
Virginia will compete for the MASC Championship on Sunday at 10 a.m.