CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 6 Virginia men’s squash team secured its fourth-straight MASC Team Championship with an 8-1 victory over No. 7 Drexel on Sunday afternoon at the McArthur Squash Center.
UVA was down 1-0 then Taha Dinana tied the match up 1-1 with a 3-0 win at No. 3. The Cavaliers gained a 2-1 advantage after Aly Hussein won 3-1 at the No. 1 position. Tyler Mackesy only lost seven points in his 3-0 win at nine to give the Cavaliers a 3-1 advantage.
It was a battle at the six position as UVA’s CJ Baldini and Drexel’s Filip Krueger traded the lead multiple times in the tie-breaking fifth game. The match lasted almost an hour and half but eventually Baldini secured the two-point lead to win 3-2.
Shortly after his win, Myles McIntyre clinched the championship for Virginia with a 3-1 win at eight. JP Tew came back to win 3-1 after dropping the first game at four. Omar El Torkey completed his win right after, taking a 3-0 victory at the No. 2 position.
Cullen Little fought back down 2-0 to win the next three games, including a 15-13 win in the fourth to take a 3-2 win at five and close out the match.
No. 6 Virginia 8, No. 7 Drexel 1
- | Aly Hussein (UVA) def. Matias Knudsen (DRX) 11-7, 8-11, 11-9, 11-5
- | Omar El Torkey (UVA) def. Nicolas Serna (DRX) 11-7, 11-7, 11-9
- | Taha Dinana (UVA) def. Jose Andres Lopez (DRX) 11-4, 13-11, 11-5
- | JP Tew (UVA) def. Yuri Pollak Pelbart (DRX) 10-12, 11-6, 11-8, 11-6
- | Cullen Little (UVA) def. Fritiof Jacobsson (DRX) 6-11, 9-11, 11-8, 15-13, 11-3
- | CJ Baldini (UVA) def. Filip Krueger (DRX) 10-12, 11-4, 11-3, 7-11, 17-15
- | Noel Heaton (DRX) def. Evan Hajek (UVA) 11-8, 11-9, 11-2
- | Myles McIntyre (UVA) def. Shomari Wiltshire (DRX) 11-5, 7-11, 11-4, 11-9
- | Tyler Mackesy (UVA) def. Gautam Nagpal (DRX) 11-3, 11-1, 11-3