PALO ALTO, Calif. – The No. 13 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (2-0) held off UC Davis (0-1) for a 16-12 win on Sunday morning at Palo Alto High School.
UVA was trailing 11-8 with 8:54 to play in the third quarter. The Cavaliers went on an 8-0 run with six different players scoring goals over the third and fourth quarters to regain control of the game.
Sophomore Rachel Clark led UVA with four goals and added an assist for a game-high five points. Senior Jaime Biskup recorded her second-straight hat trick with three goals. Junior Aubrey Williams grabbed 11 draw controls to help UVA keep momentum down the stretch. The Cavaliers won the draw battle 7-2 in the fourth quarter.
Sophomore goalkeeper Abby Jansen entered the game in the third quarter and made five saves while only allowing one goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cavaliers struck first with graduate student Courtlynne Caskin scoring a goal.
- UVA took a 2-1 lead on a goal by Clark then sophomore Maureen Duffy scored to make it a 3-2 lead with 12:57 to play in the second quarter.
- UC Davis scored the next three goals to take its first lead, 5-3.
- Back-to-back goals by Biskup tied the game 5-5.
- Virginia tied it up 6-6 at the half after a goal by junior Mackenzie Hoeg with the assist from Williams off the draw.
- Davis scored three consecutive goals to start the second half and take a 9-6 lead.
- McGovern and Clark scored for UVA to cut it to 9-8, but Davis responded with two more goals to lead 11-8.
- Clark connected with fellow sophomore Kate Miller to spark UVA’s 8-0 run. Clark added two goals and Miller had a second in the run. Biskup, McGovern, junior Morgan Schwab and senior Kiki Shaw all had goals for Virginia.
Virginia will travel to No. 15 Princeton on Saturday, Feb. 18 for a 1 p.m. game at 1952 Stadium in Princeton, N.J.