CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia softball team (4-1) heads back out on the road this weekend for five games, starting with a single game at UNCG (3-2) on Thursday (Feb. 16), before facing No. 23 Maryland (4-1) and Minnesota (4-1) over the weekend at the ACC/Big 10 Challenge.
All of Virginia’s at the ACC/Big 10 Challenge will be played at North Carolina as the Tar Heels host a four-team pod.
4 p.m. at UNCG
ACC/Big 10 Challenge (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
2:30 p.m. vs. No. 23 Maryland
10 a.m. vs. Minnesota
12:30 p.m. vs. No. 23 Maryland
10 a.m. vs. Minnesota
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
Thursday’s game at UNCG will be streamed on ESPN+ which is available through WatchESPN.com and through the ESPN app. There is no broadcast plan for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge games played at UNC. Live stats are available for all games. Links to the Thursday stream and all live stats are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVASoftball).
• Virginia is coming off a 4-1 performance at the Houston Invitational in the opening weekend of the season.
• Eden Bigham was named ACC Pitcher of the Week after a no-hit shutout and a pair of saves last week.
• Freshman M.C. Eaton led the team at the plate with three home runs, seven RBI and a .357 average after starting all five games on the opening weekend.
• Grad transfer Jenny Bressler made her debut with the Cavaliers last weekend, posting a 2-0 record through 12.0 IP as the grad transfer struck out 14 and walked only three through her three outings.
• All six freshmen who made up the No. 15 signing class saw action in the opening weekend of play at Houston.
THE SERIES WITH UNCG
• Virginia and UNCG have met 27 times with the Hoos leading the all-time series 19-8.
• The Spartans won last year’s meeting 6-4 with a surge down the stretch to close out their tournament.
• UNCG has won six straight in the series dating back to 2013, the longest for the Spartans in the series.
• Virginia won nine straight games to open the series between the teams starting in 1990.
THE SERIES WITH MARYLAND
• Virginia and Maryland have met 58 times with the Cavaliers leading the all-time series 34-24.
• The Hoos won the last meeting 10-2 in five innings in Charlottesville a year ago.
• Virginia has won the last two meetings with the Terrapins (2019, 2022).
THE SERIES WITH MINNESOTA
• Virginia and Minnesota have met three times with the Golden Gophers leading the series 2-1.
• The three meetings came in three separate years (1999, 2001, 2002) at early season tournaments.
• Virginia won the 2001 meeting 2-1 at the UNC Triangle Classic in Raleigh, N.C.