PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Aly Hussein and Meagan Best advanced to the Semifinals of the A Division brackets on Friday at the CSA Individual Championships in Philadelphia.
Pool A Division:
- No. 1 seed Hussein cruised to a 3-0 victory in the first round over Harvard’s Ido Burstein.
- Hussein went on to win his quarterfinal matchup with Penn’s Nicholas Spizzirri, 3-2. He won the first and third games then took the fifth game 11-5 to advance to the semifinals on Saturday.
- Hussein will play Trinity’s Mohamed Sharaf at 2:30 p.m.
- Omar El Torkey fell 3-0 in the first round and 3-1 in the quarters of the consolation bracket.
- JP Tew won his first round match against Drexel’s Filip Krueger, 3-1.
- Tew then won 3-1 in the Quarterfinals against Alec Spiro (Bates) to make the Semifinals. He will play at 11:20 a.m.
Ramsay A Division:
- 4-seed Best won her first-round match 3-0 against Princeton’s Andrea Toth to advance to the quarterfinals.
- Best then won 3-0 in the quarterfinals against Drexel Alina Bushma. Best will face 1-seed Sivasangari Subramaniam (Cornell) at 1:30 p.m. in the semifinals.
B Division North:
- Maria Moya won her first-round match against Connecticut’s Rachel Matamoros, 11-2, 11-2, 11-6 to advance to the Quarterfinals.
- Moya won 3-1 in the quarterfinals and will play Lujan Palacios (Trinity) at 10:30 a.m. in the semifinals.
- Maureen Foley fell in her first-round match, 3-0, to move to the consolation bracket.
- Foley won 3-0 in the Consolation Quarterfinals and will face Elizabeth Lentz in the Consolation Semis at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.
B Division South:
- Emma Jinks advanced to the quarterfinal with her 3-0 win over Georgetown’s Katie Hennessy.
- She fell in a tight battle in the quarters, 3-2, to Princeton’s India Stephenson.
B Division East:
- Two-seed Lina Tammam won 3-0 over Colby’s Aileen Dominguez in the first round.
- Tammam moved on to the Semifinals with a 3-2 victory over Olivia Robinson (Princeton). She will play at 12:10 p.m. on Saturday.
- Sydney Maxwell topped Chatham’s Basmala Sayed Ahmed 3-1 in the first round to move on to the quarterfinals.
- Maxwell fell 3-1 in the quarterfinals to 1-seed Hannah Chukwu (Trinity).
B Division West:
- Olivia Walsh defeated Yu Quan Ng (Williams) 3-0 to move on to the quarterfinals.
- Walsh topped Ashley Manning (Penn) 3-1 in the quarterfinals to advance to the semis. She will play at 1 p.m. on Saturday.