CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 10 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (5-0) closes out its three-game home stand with Elon (3-2) on Sunday (March 5) at noon at Klöckner Stadium.
HOW TO FOLLOW
The game will be streamed live on ACCNX. Links for live stats and the live stream are available on VirginiaSports.com.
- Virginia is looking to open the season 6-0. UVA has started a season 5-0 for the third time in the last five seasons.
- The last time the Cavaliers started 6-0 was the 2007 season when they won the ACC Championship and finished as NCAA runner-up.
- UVA is 2-0 in ACC play with wins over then-No. 23 Louisville, 19-9, and Clemson, 16-7.
- Virginia has held its last two opponents to under 10 goals.
- Graduate student Ashlyn McGovern matched a career-high with seven goals in the win over Clemson on Friday night.
- McGovern has four or more goals in four games this season.
- Sophomore Rachel Clark scored seven goals in the win over Louisville and six at Princeton to pace the Cavalier offense.
STEADY ON DEFENSE
- Senior Ashley Vernon has been solid in the net for UVA this season.
- Vernon made a season-high 11 saves in the win against Clemson and had nine against Louisville.
- She is a big part of UVA’s defense holding opponents to single-digit goals in each of the last two contests.
- Helping out Vernon is a solid group with graduate students Annika Meyer and Nina Garfinkel, juniors Maggie Bostain and Devon Whitaker and freshman Nichole Cruthirds.
- Whitaker is second on the team with 15 draw controls, helping junior draw specialist Aubrey Williams (37).
- Bostain leads the team with seven caused turnovers and Meyer has a team-high seven ground balls.
- Virginia is 4-1 all-time against Elon, winning the last four meetings.
- The last two meetings have both been at Elon, this will be the first matchup in Charlottesville since 2018.
Virginia returns to ACC play at No. 1 North Carolina on Saturday, March 11 at 1 p.m. in Chapel Hill, N.C.