CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia softball team (17-4) heads out on the road for a midweek tilt at Liberty (9-9) on Tuesday (March 6). First pitch is set for 6 p.m. in the single game.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
The game at Liberty will be streamed on ESPN+ and is available at ESPN.com and through the ESPN app. Live stats are also available and links to both the stream and live stats are at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVASoftball).
- Virginia is riding an 11-game win streak after posting an undefeated weekend in the Palmer Park Clash.
- Sophomore Kelly Ayer has been hot at bat, posting an 11-game hit streak that coincides with the win streak.
- Ayer also has been a threat on the basepath as she leads the ACC and ranks ninth nationally in steals (15).
- The Hoos have been aggressive on the basepath with 60 steals which ranks fourth nationally.
- Jade Hylton holds the team lead in home runs (7) and also leads the team in RBI (19) after four weeks of play.
- Hylton’s seven home runs ranks 14th nationally.
- Pitchers Eden Bigham and Molly Grube rank in the top 50 nationally in ERA – Bigham comes in at 0.98 while Grube comes in at 1.05. Jenny Bressler ranks 82nd nationally with a 1.34 ERA.
- Bigham ranks eighth nationally in fewest hits allowed per seven innings (2.95) and is coming off a performance with a career-high 10 strikeouts against George Mason on Sunday night.
- UVA’s 11-game win streak is the longest since the 2001 team posted an 12-game hit streak (4/14/01 – 4/24/01).
- That 2001 team posted two win streaks of 12 games and an additional 11-game win streak.
THE SERIES WITH LIBERTY
- Virginia and Liberty have faced each other 76 times and the Cavaliers lead the series 47-29.
- Liberty won both games last season and have won four straight in the series.
- Virginia won the second meeting of the 2019 campaign 4-3 in Charlottesville (4/16/19).
- The longest win streak for the Hoos in the series was 15 games (3/28/98 – 4/13/05).
- Liberty’s longest win streak in the series is six games (4/29/81 – 3/26/83).
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
- Virginia will return to action at home this weekend when the Cavaliers open ACC play against Georgia Tech.
- Game times for the weekend series are 5 p.m. (Friday), 1 p.m. (Saturday), 4 p.m. (Sunday).
- General admission tickets for Virginia Softball are on sale at UVATix.com.
- Sunday’s are Youth Day with Virginia Softball and youth get in free with the purchase of an adult ticket. Additional details can also be found at UVATix.com.