Brian Gursky Pronunciation
• Second Team All-ACC selection as a starting pitcher
• One of five Cavaliers named to the ACC All-Academic Team and was also listed on the ACC Academic Honor Roll.
• Won his first five decisions, only the seventh Cavalier since 2000 and first since Adam Haseley in 2016 to record a win in his first five starts.
• Served as a weekend starter for the Cavaliers, making 14 total starts. UVA went 10-4 in games he started.
• In his fifth season of college baseball, established career-highs in every statistical category.
• Led the Cavaliers in wins (7) and strikeouts (84).
• Ranked sixth in the ACC in strikeouts per game (10.75), tied for eighth in wins (7), 13th in strikeouts (84), 15th in ERA (3.97), 17th in opponent batting average (.256) and 20th in innings pitched (70.1).
• In nine ACC starts went 4-1 with a 3.69 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 46.1 innings pitched. Recorded ACC wins over Duke (March 13), Boston College (March 19), Pitt (April 16) and Virginia Tech (April 30).
• Produced quality starts against Boston College (March 13) – 6.0 IP, 1 ER ; Pitt (March 19) – 6.2 IP, 0 ER and Virginia Tech (April 30) – 6.0 IP, 2 ER. Logged five or more innings in nine of his 14 starts.
• Struck out a career-high 10 batters in five innings at Louisville on May 19,.
• On Ryan Zimmerman day against Virginia Tech on April 30, struck out five of the first eight batters he faced and finished with eight in five innings pitched to improve to 7-0 on the season.
• Threw nine pitches and struck out three in an “immaculate inning” against Cornell on Feb. 26
Prior to Virginia
• Played last four seasons at University of Southern California (2018-2021)
• As a senior in 2021, appeared on the mound 14 times, making five starts with 30.1 innings pitched. Went 1-2 with a 4.45 ERA, recorded one save, posted 26 strikeouts and allowed 11 walks.
• In COVID shortened 2020 season, did not allow an earned run in 12 innings pitched. Made four pitching appearances, including three starts and fanned 12 batters while just giving up four hits and two unearned runs.
• Tossed a career high 6.0 innings and struck out a career best, seven batters without allowing a hit against UC Irvine (3/3/20)
• As a sophomore, made 12 appearances on the mound, including five starts; threw a total of 22.0 innings on the season; struck out a total of 18 batters; one of nine pitchers on the team with at least 12 appearances on the mound
• As a freshman, posted an ERA of 4.93 in 34.2 innings across 22 appearances on the mound; had a 3-1 record, making two starts; struck out 30 batters
• Named Rawlings Perfect Game All-American honorable mention in 2017
• Named Perfect Game All-Region first team in 2017
• Pitched five shutout innings at the Tournament of Stars in 2016
• Played USA Tournament 2016
• Invited to the Area Code games in 2015 and 2016
• Named Preseason All-American in 2016
• Member of the NTDP roster in 2015.
• Born in Bloomington, Ind.
• Parents are Susan and Matt Gursky
• Has two sisters, Elena and Natalie
• His uncle, Steve Perry, and grandfather, Will Perry, played baseball at Michigan, and his uncle was a first round pick of the Los Angeles Dodgers