March 16, 2018
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 8 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (5-2, 1-1 ACC) returns to Atlantic Coach Conference action when it travels to No. 21 Notre Dame (5-4, 1-2 ACC) on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Arlotta Stadium in Notre Dame, Ind.
FOLLOW THE ACTION
The game will be streamed live on ACC Network Extra. Links for live stats and the live stream are available on VirginiaSports.com.
- Virginia is coming off a 19-18 loss at No. 13 Loyola.
- Sophomore Sammy Mueller (Pelham, N.Y.) scored five goals in the shootout with the Greyhounds to lead the Cavaliers. Mueller leads the team with 26 points.
- Junior Avery Shoemaker (Wyndmoor, Pa.) added four goals, matching a season-high.
- Junior Maggie Jackson (Alexandria, Va.) had four goals and added two assists along with 11 draw controls and three ground balls.
- Freshman Olivia Schildmeyer (Upper Arlington, Ohio) scored a career-high two goals at Loyola.
Notre Dame had won three straight games before falling at Virginia Tech, 9-6, on March 11. The Irish are averaging 12.22 goals per game, and allowing 9.67. Maddie Howe and Nikki Ortega lead Notre Dame with 25 points apiece. Howe has a team-high 17 goals and Ortega is tied for the team-high with 10 assists. Andie Aldave is leading the team with 56 draws and goalkeeper Samantha Giacolone has a team-leading 24 ground balls with 82 saves on the season.
Virginia and Notre Dame are meeting for just the sixth time in the series that began in 2014. The Irish hold a 3-2 advantage all-time and are 1-1 in games played at Notre Dame. UVA won the first meeting at Notre Dame, 18-13, on March 5, 2014. The Irish won the only other meeting, 16-4, on March 19, 2016. Virginia took the most recent meeting, knocking off then-No. 10 Notre Dame 15-5 on March 18, 2017.
The Cavaliers return home to host James Madison in a mid-week game on Wednesday, March 21 at 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.