One-Stop Shop for UVA Fans | Football Gameday Experience | How to Watch the Game | Virginia Game Notes | ACC Notes | Bronco Mendenhall Press Conference Transcript | Gameday Central | Liberty Game Notes | Virginia Depth Chart | Live Stats | Listen Live | Parking | Buy Tickets | Buy Tickets for Troops
UVA Hosts in-state foe Liberty
• Virginia and Liberty meet on Saturday, concluding UVA’s non-conference schedule for 2018.
• Saturday is UVA’s first time hosting a non-conference opponent in the month of November since Temple came to Scott Stadium on Nov. 5, 2005.
Cavaliers to Honor Seniors on Saturday
• Virginia will honor 27 fourth, fifth and sixth-years prior to the game on Saturday.
• UVA will honor: OT Marcus Applefield, OG Ryan Bischoff, DE Richard Burney, TE Evan Butts, P Lester Coleman, ILB Malcolm Cook, TE Tanner Cowley, TB Jordan Ellis, S CJ Epps, OG Jake Fieler, DT Eli Hanback, CB Tim Harris, WR Ben Hogg, LB Reed Kellam, WR Zain Khokhar, DL Mikey McDonald, LB Gladimir Paul, OLB Chris Peace, OG RJ Proctor, RB Chris Sharp, LB Dom Sheppard, LS Joe Spaziani, LB CJ Stalker, DT Dylan Thompson, SS Juan Thornhill, DT James Trucilla, HB Olamide Zaccheaus.
Five Top Storylines
• Virginia and Liberty are meeting for the first time in program history. There are 10 Division I football teams in the Commonwealth of Virginia and after Saturday UVA will have faced six of them. Next season, Old Dominion will come to Scott Stadium, increasing that number to seven.
• OLB Chris Peace leads the ACC’s linebackers with 6.0 sacks and is tied for No. 7 among the nation’s linebackers. Peace also shares the ACC lead for TFLs by a linebacker with 10.0. He is tied with Miami’s Shaquille Quarterman.
• HB Olamide Zaccheaus, UVA’s all-time career reception leader, is climbing the ACC’s all-time reception list coming in at No. 14 with 217 career catches. Zaccheaus is also No. 3 among all active FBS players in career receptions, trailing Fresno State’s Keesean Johnson (242) and Duke’s T.J. Rahming (222).
• Zaccheaus is the only active player in the nation with at least 2,000 career receiving yards (2,416) and 500 career rushing yards (531). There is no other active player that even has 1,500 career receiving yards and 450 career rushing yards.
• QB Bryce Perkins is responsible for 134 points (16 passing TDs, 6 rushing TDs & 1 Pass 2pt.) which ranks No. 2 in the ACC and No. 21 in the nation.
The Series vs. Liberty
• Virginia and Liberty are meeting for the first time in football.
• UVA and Liberty have scheduled five games over the next 11 seasons.
• UVA will host Liberty on Nov. 23, 2019; Nov. 7, 2020; and in 2030.
• Liberty will host UVA in 2027 and 2029.
UVA AGainst FBS Independent Teams
• Against current FBS Independent teams UVA has a 6-9 all-time record.
• Of the five games against BYU, only the 2013 and 2014 meetings were against an Independent BYU team, which coincidentally was coached by current UVA head coach Bronco Mendenhall.
• In 2019, UVA will face two FBS Independent teams. UVA travels to Notre Dame on Sept. 28 and hosts Liberty on Nov. 23.
Virginia – Liberty Connections
• UVA’s Bryce Perkins (Arizona Western) faced Liberty’s Isaac Steele (Mesa CC) in Arizona junior college football action in 2017. Perkins and the Matadors won, 64-23.
• Liberty president, Jerry Falwell Jr., attended law school at UVA, receiving a letter of recommendation for admittance by the late senator Ted Kennedy, another UVA Law alum.
Liberty-UVA-New Mexico State Connection
• Liberty is playing a home-and-home with New Mexico State this season. LU has already lost at New Mexico State, 49-41, on Oct. 6.
• Liberty will host New Mexico State at Williams Stadium on Nov. 24.
• UVA’s senior long snapper, Joe Spaziani, is the son of New Mexico State’s defensive coordinator, Frank Spaziani.
Peace Leads ACC Linebackers in Sacks/TFLs
• OLB Chris Peace leads the ACC’s linebackers with 6.0 sacks and is tied for No. 7 among the nation’s linebackers.
• Peace also shares the ACC lead for TFLs by a linebacker with 10.0. He is tied with Miami’s Shaquille Quarterman.
• Peace led the ACC’s linebackers in 2017 with 7.5 sacks.
• Peace is the only Cavalier who has started all 34 games of the Bronco Mendenhall era at UVA.
• Peace is No. 14 all-time at UVA with 15.5 career sacks.
UVA Improves Punt Return Defense
• UVA enters Saturday No. 1 in the ACC and No. 8 in the nation in punt return defense. UVA is allowing only 2.8 yards per return.
• The 2018 season is a stark change from 2017 when UVA was No. 13 in the ACC and No. 117 in punt return defense after allowing 12.84 yards per punt return.
Rushing Important for UVA wins
• The only time UVA has failed to rush for 100 yards in a game is in its two ACC losses.
• UVA rushed for only 93 yards at NC State and 44 against Pitt.
• UVA’s 44 rushing yards against Pitt is the Cavaliers’ fewest since rushing for 40 against Boise State in a 2015 Friday night home game.