Jocelyn Willoughby and Dominique Toussaint each had a double-double as the Cavaliers downed Georgia Tech, 53-45.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia women’s basketball team (11-16, 5-9 ACC) picked up a 53-45 victory over Georgia Tech (17-10, 7-7 ACC) on Sunday (Feb. 24) at John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, Va., in the Cavaliers’ final home game of the 2018-19 season.
Junior forward Lisa Jablonowski (Ernster, Luxembourg) led the Cavaliers with 16 points. Junior guards Jocelyn Willoughby (East Orange, N.J.) and Dominique Toussaint (Staten Island, N.Y.) both had double-doubles with Willoughby scoring 12 points with 13 rebounds and Toussaint scoring 10 points with 10 rebounds. Elizabeth Balogun was the lone Yellow Jacket in double figures with 16 points and nine rebounds. Virginia shot 38.3 percent (18-of-47) and Georgia Tech shot 24.6 percent (16-of-65). Virginia held a 48-35 edge in rebounding.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Virginia closed out a low-scoring first half on a 6-0 run to take a 20-17 lead into halftime. The Cavaliers opened the third quarter on a 6-1 run to build up a 28-18 advantage, but the Yellow Jackets closed out the period with a 9-2 run to make it a one-point game. Georgia Tech retook the lead, 36-34, on a three-pointer from Francesca Pan with 7:20 remaining. A three-pointer from Toussaint put the Cavaliers ahead, 47-45, with 1:52 remaining. After UVA got a defensive stop, Jablonowski scored a fastbreak layup to give the Cavaliers a 49-45 advantage with 51 seconds remaining. Jablonowski and Toussaint were a combined 4-of-4 from the free throw line down the stretch to close out the victory.
- Jocelyn Willoughby had her fifth-straight double-double and her ninth of the year
- Dominique Toussaint had a career-high 10 rebounds with 10 points for her second double-double of the season
- It was the second time this season that Willoughby and Toussaint both had double-doubles in the same game. The last time was against Saint Louis when Willoughby had 11 points and 13 rebounds and Toussaint scored 10 points with 10 assists
- Willoughby had nine rebounds in the first half
- Sophomore guard Khyasia Caldwell (Pocono Summit, Pa.) had her second-straight double-digit scoring effort, with 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting. She also matched her career high with seven rebounds
- Lisa Jablonowski was 6-of-8 from the free throw line
- The 37 combined points at the half was the lowest this season. The previous low was 41 combined points at Kentucky (UK 21, UVA 20)
- The two teams combined to score four points in the first five minutes of the second period
- Georgia Tech went 6:31 between field goals in the second quarter
- Virginia made five of its last six shots of the game
- Georgia Tech missed six shots in the final 1:23 of the game
- Georgia Tech led for 15:29. Virginia led for 18:57. The game was tied for 5:34
- Virginia scored 15 fastbreak points. The Yellow Jackets did not score any fastbreak points
- It was the Cavaliers’ Senior Day with Mone Jones (Durham, N.C) and Shakyna Payne (Acworth, Ga.) honored in a pregame ceremony
On the Horizon
- The Cavaliers close out the regular season with two road games, playing at Virginia Tech on Thursday (Feb. 28) at 7 p.m. in a Commonwealth Clash game and finishing off on Sunday at noon at No. 5 Notre Dame