Gameday Information | Virginia Game Notes | Liberty Game Notes | ACC Game Notes | Virginia Depth Chart | How to Watch the Game on TV | Live Stats | Listen Live | Buy Liberty Tickets | Parking | Virginia Master Plan | Bronco Mendenhall Press Conference Transcript
UVA Hosts In-State Foe Liberty
• Virginia and Liberty meet on Saturday for Military Appreciation Day, concluding UVA’s non-conference schedule for 2019.
• In Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C., the game will air on NBC Sports Washington Plus.
• UVA is playing a non-conference game in the month of November for the second year in a row after not doing so since Temple came to Scott Stadium on Nov. 5, 2005.
• UVA is 29-32 all-time when coming off a bye week and 2-2 under head coach Bronco Mendenhall, defeating Duke (28-21) in 2017 and then-No. 16 Miami (16-13) last year. UVA lost at Miami earlier this season after the Cavaliers’ first bye of the season.
The Series vs. Liberty
• Virginia and Liberty are meeting for the second time in football. The Cavaliers won the first meeting in 2018, 45-24.
• UVA and Liberty have scheduled four games over the next 11 seasons.
• UVA will host Liberty on Oct. 14, 2023 and Sept. 15, 2030. Liberty will host UVA in 2027 and 2029.
Five Top Storylines
• Saturday is the latest UVA has played a non-conference game since hosting Virginia Tech on Nov. 29, 2004, the season before the Hokies joined the ACC.
• Liberty is the third UVA opponent this season from the Commonwealth of Virginia. UVA will play four by the end of the season, marking the first time since 1979 that the Cavaliers will face four Commonwealth opponents in the same season.
• QB Bryce Perkins is one of two players in the nation, joining Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts, to pass for 2400+ yards and rush for 450+ yards so far this season. Perkins is No. 1 in the ACC and No. 14 in the nation with 2,932 yards of total offense.
• ILB Jordan Mack, a Campbell Trophy finalist, is No. 4 in the ACC with 7.0 sacks (No. 22 in the nation) and is No. 7 among the nation’s linebackers.
• WR Joe Reed has 2,989 career kick return yards and is averaging 29.0 yards per kick return while in a UVA uniform. He is the only player in FBS history to have 2,700+ career kick return yards and a career average per kick return of 28+ yards. He is also the only FBS player with 100+ career returns and a career kick return average of 28+ yards.
UVA Against FBS Independent Teams
• Against current FBS Independent teams UVA has a 7-10 all-time record.
• Of the five games against BYU, only the 2013 and 2014 meetings were against an Independent BYU team, which coincidentally was coached by current UVA head coach Bronco Mendenhall.
• In 2019, UVA has two FBS Independent teams on the schedule. UVA traveled to Notre Dame on Sept. 28 and hosts Liberty this Saturday.
It is a Commonwealth Duel Between Perkins and Buckshot
• UVA quarterback Bryce Perkins and Liberty quarterback Buckshot Stephen Calvert are both on the active list of most passes without an interception. Calvert enters Saturday No. 1 in the nation with 281 passes without an interception, while Perkins is No. 6 with 100.
• Heading into week No. 2 of the college football season Perkins was No. 1 on this list (132), dating back to 2018.
• In last year’s meeting Calvert threw three interceptions, while Perkins threw one.
Bryce Perkins at a Glance
• QB Bryce Perkins is No. 5 in UVA program history for 200+ passing games (13).
• Only five times has a UVA quarterback thrown for 200+ yards and rushed for 100+ yards in a game. Perkins has done it four times, including both his career games against North Carolina. More on page 14.
• Perkins is the only UVA quarterback to throw for 300+ yards and rush for 100+ yards in a game after setting the UVA single-game record for total offense. Perkins threw for 378 yards and rushed for 112 against the Tar Heels. He accounted for 490 of UVA’s 517 yards. Of all the opponents UNC has faced, only Lamar Jackson (Louisville) and Daniel Jones (Duke) have accounted for more total offense than what Perkins did against the Tar Heels on Nov. 2.
• Perkins owns the career UVA quarterback record for 100-yard rushing games with six. Of those six games, three of them he finished with the total of 112 yards (vs. UNC & at VT in 2018; at UNC in 2019).