CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia field hockey team opens the 2020 fall season by playing two home games this weekend, taking on Wake Forest (0-1) on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 26-27, at Turf Field in Charlottesville, Va. Both games will start at 12 p.m.
Due to health and safety considerations in addition to the current guidelines established for sports venues by the Commonwealth of Virginia, attendance at UVA home competitions is limited to family of student-athletes and each team’s coaching staff until further notice. There is no public admission to these events and all tailgating in University parking lots is prohibited. Gates will open 30 minutes prior to the start of the match. Masks are required for fans attending the event and all fans are asked to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Saturday’s game is a non-conference contest. Sunday’s game will count toward the Atlantic Coast Conference standings
- Sunday’s game is the conference-opener for both teams
- Virginia has been picked to finish second in the preseason ACC Coaches’ poll
- Wake Forest is picked to finish seventh
- Wake Forest opened its season last week with a 3-1 loss in a non-conference tilt against North Carolina. Sophomore Nat Friedman scored the goal off a pass from junior Eleanor Winants
- The Deacons return 13 players from last year’s squad and welcome eight freshmen and a sophomore. They finished 2019 with a 9-11 overall record and an 0-6 conference mark
LAST MEETING: Sept. 26, 2020; 2-1 victory for Wake Forest
ALL-TIME SERIES: Virginia, 26-19, UVA had won the last six meetings prior to yesterday’s loss
PREVIOUS FIVE MEETINGS
|11/4/16||A||W, 3-2 OT|