CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia women’s basketball team (0-1) plays its first home game of the 2020-21 season when it hosts East Carolina (0-1) on Sunday, Nov. 29 at 1 p.m. at John Paul Jones Arena.
- The game will stream online through ACCNX. ACCNX streams are available through participating TV providers that carry ACC Network and can be watched on the ESPN app and through WatchESPN
- All of the 2020-21 Virginia women’s basketball games – regular-season and post-season – are available locally on the radio on NewsRadio 1070 AM and 98.9 FM WINA
- Live stats will also be available for the game
- Virginia is playing its first home game inside John Paul Jones Arena after opening the 2020-21 season on Wednesday with a 60-34 loss at UCF
- Sophomore forward Meg Jefferson (Sydney, Australia) led the team with a career-high eight points. It was the first start of her career after coming off the bench in 2019-20 in 15 games, playing an average of 5.7 minutes per game
- Four freshmen made their collegiate debuts in the game. All four came off the bench, with forward Deja Bristol (Upper Marlboro, Md.) and guard Kaydan Lawson (Cleveland, Ohio) each playing more than 22 minutes
- Bristol had nine-rebounds (including five offensive rebounds), the top rebounding tally for the game for either team
- Lawson had a well-rounded line with seven points, five rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot
- The Pirates’ head coach Kim McNeill was a member of Joanne Boyle’s staff at Virginia for five seasons (2011-16), being elevated to associate head coach in 2013. Pirates’ associate head coach Cory McNeill also was an assistant coach at UVA in that same time span
- 2019-20 leading scorer Lashonda Monk (14.9 points per game) is back after winning AAC Defensive Player of the Year honors and All-AAC Second-Team laurels while unanimous American Conference Freshman Team selection Taniyah Thompson looks to build on a rookie campaign that saw her average 13.7 points per game.
- The Pirates return all five starters, in addition to 11 total players, from last year’s roster
LAST MEETING: 12/6/2008 – W, 80-67
ALL-TIME SERIES: Tied, 2-2
LAST FIVE MEETINGS