CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – For its second game of the 2023-24 season, the Virginia women’s basketball team (1-0) hosts Campbell (2-0) for Heroes Appreciation Day on Sunday (Nov. 12). Tipoff from John Paul Jones Arena is set for 2 p.m. on ACC Network Extra (ACCNX).
- Sunday’s contest will stream on ACCNX on espn.com/watch and the ESPN app.
- The game will also be broadcast on WINA (98.9FM/1070AM), VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports mobile app.
- Live statistics will be provided through Statbroadcast, which can be accessed on VirginiaSports.com and the UVA Sports mobile app.
Heroes Appreciation Day
- Virginia will honor all service members in attendance, give away free red, white and blue themed koozies for the first 1,000 fans, and the UVA coaching and support staff will wear special quarterzips.
- There will also be a special ceremony at halftime to recognize veterans of United States armed forces.
- The Cavaliers lead the series, which began in 1979, 2-1.
- UVA won last year’s matchup, 62-41, after breaking the game open in the second half by scoring 40 points.
- Camryn Taylor (13 pts) and London Clarkson (10 pts) both scored in double figures in last year’s contest against the Fighting Camels.
- The two teams previously met in back-to-back seasons (1978-79 & 1979-80). Campbell won the inaugural matchup in Buies Creek, N.C., 87-79, on Jan. 6, 1979.
Last Time Out
- Virginia won its season opener, 76-52, over Maryland Eastern Shore last Wednesday (Nov. 8).
- Jillian Brown (14 pts, 13 reb) notched her first career double-double and Camryn Taylor scored a game-high 22 points, including 13 in the fourth quarter, to lead the Cavaliers to victory.
- With the win, UVA improved to 12-0 against non-conference opponents under the direction of head coach Amaka Agugua-Hamilton.
Everybody Wants Some
- After finishing fourth in the ACC in attendance (3,489) in 2022-23, UVA set a program record for season tickets sold this offseason after adding over 1,000 new season ticket holders this year.
- Last season, Virginia also hosted 6,378 fans for National Girls and Women in Sports Day and Senior Day, which marked the highest attendance for a UVA women’s basketball non-field trip day game since 2011.
2023-24 Season Opponents
- This season, UVA faces 10 different opponents that reached the 2023 NCAA Tournament.
- Both Oklahoma and reigning-national champion LSU are the two non-conference opponents that earned tournament berths.
- Eight ACC teams made the NCAA Tournament last season in Duke, Florida State, Louisville, Miami, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech.
- All four of UVA’s ACC travel pod partners (Duke, NCSU, UNC & VT), which the Cavaliers will have to face twice during the regular season, made the big dance last year.
On The Horizon
- Virginia returns to John Paul Jones Arena to host William & Mary on Wednesday (Nov. 15).
- Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. on ACC Network Extra (ACCNX). Fans can also tune in live on WINA (98.9FM/1070AM).