Cavaliers and Tigers Meet for ACC Crown
• Virginia and Clemson meet Saturday evening in Charlotte for the 2019 ACC Championship.
• Virginia is making its first appearance in the ACC Championship game and is the seventh-different ACC Coastal Division champion in the last seven seasons.
Virginia Vs. Clemson
• Overall, the series has been one-sided, with Clemson holding a 38-8-1 edge.
• UVA and Clemson are playing at a neutral site for only the second time in series history. UVA and Clemson met on Oct. 16, 1971 at Richmond City Stadium in what was deemed the Tobacco Bowl. Clemson won, 32-15. The Tobacco Bowl (or Tobacco Festival Bowl) was not a postseason bowl game and it typically featured regional teams from Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. The festival held a game every year from 1949-1982.
• UVA has won three of the last seven games though, including two of four at Scott Stadium.
• The Tigers won the first 29 games in the series before UVA won in 1990. Since then, Virginia is 8-9-1 vs. Clemson.
Five Top Storylines
• Virginia is playing for its first outright ACC title in football after sharing the 1989 title with Duke and the 1995 title with Florida State. UVA won the head-to-head in 1989 with Duke and with Florida State in 1995.
• UVA is looking for its 10th win of the season, which would be only the second 10-win season in program history. The 1989 team went 10-3 and was co-champions of the ACC.
• QB Bryce Perkins is one of three players in the nation, joining Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts and ULM’s Caleb Evans, to pass for 2,900+ yards and rush for 600+ yards so far this season. Perkins is No. 1 in the ACC and No. 13 in the nation with 3,636 yards of total offense, which has already broke his own single-season UVA record from 2018 (3,603).
• Perkins led UVA to its first 4-0 November since 1951. During the month of November Perkins was the only player in the nation with 1,000 passing yards (1,146) and 400 rushing yards (412). Since the start of 2018 he is the only FBS player with 5,200+ passing yards and 1,600+ rushing yards.
• ILB Jordan Mack, a Campbell Trophy finalist, is No. 6 in the ACC with 7.5 sacks and is No. 1 among the league’s linebackers (No. 12 among the nation’s linebackers). Mack also is the ACC’s Jim Tatum Award winner as the league’s top senior football student-athlete.
Football and Futbol
• Nearly three weeks ago on Nov. 17, No. 2 Virginia and No. 1 Clemson met in Cary, N.C., for the 2019 ACC Men’s Soccer (futbol) Championship. UVA scored three goals in the second half to capture the ACC title, 3-1. It was UVA’s 16th ACC championship in men’s soccer.
• Saturday marks the second time this fall Virginia and Clemson will meet for an ACC Championship.
Mendenhall and National Championship Programs
• A win over Clemson will give UVA head coach Bronco Mendenhall at least one career victory over 13-different FBS programs that have won at least one football national championship.
• Mendenhall owns victories over the following FBS programs that boast at least one football national championship: Cal, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami (Fla.), Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Pittsburgh, TCU, Texas, UCLA and Washington.
• Mendenhall coached 11 seasons and won 99 games at BYU, another program that owns a college football national title (1984).
Virginia at NFL Stadiums
• Virginia is 11-21 all-time in stadiums that at the time of the contest were active NFL stadiums.
• Seven of the 14 NFL stadiums UVA has played in are still active today.
• Winners of the 2002 and 2003 Continental Tire Bowls, and the 2018 Belk Bowl, UVA is 3-0 all-time at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.
• UVA is 1-1 this season at NFL stadiums, winning at Pittsburgh’s Heinz Field in the season opener and losing at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium.
UVA vs. Ranked Clemson Teams
• UVA is 2-13-1 all-time against ranked Clemson teams, including 1-6 at Scott Stadium.
• The lone UVA win against a ranked Tiger team at Scott Stadium came in Virginia’s first win over Clemson in program history in 1990. In 2001 the then-No. 14 Cavaliers beat the then-No. 9 Tigers, 20-7, in Clemson.
It Has Been Nice Seeing you
• Because of the ACC’s unbalanced schedule, Virginia and Clemson’s next scheduled game is next year at Clemson.
• Virginia and Clemson played every season from 1977-2004, but have only played three since (2008, 2009 and 2013).
• In 2024 when the already announced ACC rotating crossover conference opponent schedule is complete, UVA and Clemson will have met five times in the 20 seasons between 2005-2024, which includes Saturday’s ACC Championship game.
Virginia Wins Its First ACC Coastal Division Crown
• Virginia finished 6-2 in ACC play and won its first Coastal Division. The Cavaliers are making their first appearance in the ACC Championship game.
• UVA is the first ACC Coastal team since Virginia Tech in 2005 to be in first place in the division for the entire season from day one.
• Virginia is the seventh-different Coastal Division champion dating back to 2013.
Virginia vs. The Associated Press Top 5
• Virginia is playing No. 3 Clemson on Saturday for the 2019 ACC Championship. UVA is 2-23-1 all-time against the Associated Press Top 5, which includes wins over No. 4 Florida State (2005) and No. 2 Florida State (1995). Both those games were played at Scott Stadium.
• UVA is ranked No. 22 this week in the Associated Press. UVA is only 1-4 when facing an AP Top 5 team while also being ranked, which includes the 1995 win over No. 2 Florida State when the Cavaliers were No. 24. Three of those four losses came to Florida State (1993, 1996, 2004), while the other loss came in 1947 to Penn.
• UVA is playing its first neutral game against an AP Top 5 opponent since facing No. 2 Notre Dame on Aug. 31, 1989 at the Kickoff Classic at the old Meadowlands in East Rutherford, N.J.