Emergency Medical Service
These instructions should be used for open fractures, loss of NV, unconscious athlete, cervical spine injury, any cardio-respiratory comprise, or any situation which you deem necessary. The procedure is as follows (for staff, student, and visiting Athletic Trainers):
- After 911 has been called or the athlete has been transported to the hospital, contact the Emergency Department Attending Physician (this has been authorized by the new Director of the Emergency Department).
- Identify yourself as either a visiting Athletic Trainer, or as part of the Sports Medicine department.
- Explain that you will be arriving at the Emergency Room and ask for assistance.
- Page the Orthopedic Resident on call in the Emergency Room: call the UVA operator and get his/her pic number by dialing either (434)-924-0000 (off grounds) or 0 (on grounds).
- To page the doctor, dial 982-3500 (off campus) or 500 (on campus) and enter the pic number and do not leave the phone which you have entered the call back number; explain the problem, even if it is not orthopedic to the orthopedic resident.
- The athlete must register as a patient: you should have the athlete’s health insurance information. Health services are always billed to athletes insurance first.
- Stay with the athlete.
- Call staff Athletic Trainer as soon as possible.
- Document on the computer in the Athletic Training Clinic
- Patient Information: 982-1100
- General Information: 924-0211
- Emergency Department: 924-2231
- Physician Referral: 924-3627 or 1-800-251-3627
- Blue Ridge Poison Control: 924-5543 or 1-800-451-1428
- Stroke Hotline: 295-9557
Directions to UVA Hospital (taken from UVA Health System Web Page)
University of Virginia Medical Center Directions
From the North
Take US 29 South. Upon reaching Charlottesville, go past the US 250 Bypass and remain on 29 South. Remain on 29 South Business (Emmet Street) and continue past the intersection of University Avenue and Ivy Road. Pass the Ruffner Hall-Curry School of Education on your right. Proceed under the overpass and follow the road to the left (it now becomes Jefferson Park Avenue). Keep left and follow the signs to the Medical Center/University Hospital. Watch for signs on the overpass that indicate parking on Lee Street to the right.
From the South
Take US 29 North. Upon reaching Charlottesville, take the US 29 North Business exit and turn right when coming off the exit ramp onto Fontaine Avenue. Follow the signs to the Medical Center/University Hospital. Continue on US 29 North Business to the traffic light. After the traffic light, you will be on Jefferson Park Avenue. Follow Jefferson Park Avenue as it bears to the right. Watch for signs on the overpass indicating parking to the right on Lee Street.
From the East/I-64
Take I-64 West to Exit 118B and follow the sign to the University of Virginia. Proceed on US 29 North, then take the US 29 North Business exit. Turn right onto Fontaine Avenue after coming off the ramp. Follow signs to the UVa Medical Center. After the traffic light, you will be on Jefferson Park Avenue. Follow Jefferson Park Avenue as it bears to the right. Watch for signs on the overpass indicating parking to the right on Lee Street.
From the West/I-64
Take I-64 East to Exit 118B and follow the sign to the University of Virginia. Proceed on US 29 North, then take the US 29 North Business exit. Turn right onto Fontaine Avenue after coming off the ramp. Follow signs to the UVA Medical Center. After the traffic light, you will be on Jefferson Park Avenue. Follow Jefferson Park Avenue as it bears to the right. Watch for signs on the overpass indicating parking to the right on Lee Street.
Severe Weather / Lightning Policy
The University of Virginia’s Department of Athletics subscribes to Weather Data, Inc. which monitors inclement weather which may compromise the safety of our participants or fans. When a storm is in the vicinity of the University grounds, the weather service will notify game operations and members of the athletic training staff of the weather warning by pager or text message. A fax will also be sent to the offices of Facilities Management and Sports Medicine with the weather warning information. The information will include the beginning and the ending times of the weather warning and the type of weather activity expected. One person from Facilities Management and one person from Sports Medicine may contact the weather service to clarify any information.
When the storm is 10 miles away, practice or competitions should stop and the athletes should exit to designated safe areas. When the storm passes 10 miles away from the grounds or the weather warning is cancelled, then activity may resume. The decision to stop activity and have the athletes exit the outdoor facility when adverse weather occurs will be made as follows:
- Prior to game – game management, coaches and officials with the advice from the athletic trainer
- During the game – officials with the advice of game management and or the athletic trainers
- Practice – coaches with the advice from the athletic trainers
Officials and the University of Virginia’s Policy: If the officials are unaware of the University of Virginia policy regarding lightning, the Athletic Trainer will inform them at game time of the policy. If lightning is present and a warning is issued or the Athletic Trainer decides to clear the fields, they will notify the officials and the field should be cleared.
If the team is asked to exit the field, they should go to the designated safe area and remain there until activity is allowed to resume by the game officials, coach or athletic trainers. The following areas are designated safe structures for each facilities:
- Klockner Field – Kl?ckner Locker Rooms
- Davenport Field – Stadium Locker Rooms
- Track – University Hall
- Upper Practice Field – University Hall
- Turf Field – Onesty Hall
- Football Practice Fields – The Cage, team locker room
- Lower Practice Fields – McCue Center
- Perry Field – Onesty Hall
- The Park (softball) – Inside the Pavilion
- Snyder Tennis Center – Lobby of Memorial Gym
- Rivanna Reservoir – Boathouse