Virginia Women's Golfers Finish Fifth at ACC Championships
Greensboro, NC – The 25th-ranked Virginia women’s golf team finished fifth at ACC Championships held at the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C. Virginia shot 16-over 300 for the second consecutive day to finish the 54-hole event at 903. Duke won its 17th title in the 20-year history of the tournament. The Blue Devils led from wire-to-wire and finished at 875. North Carolina, the defending champions, was second at 885. Florida State was third at 892 and Wake Forest was fourth at 899.
Virginia was led by freshman Briana Mao. She finished 11th at 11-over 224 after shooting 4-over 75 Sunday. Elizabeth Brightwell, also playing in her first ACC Championship tournament, was 12th at 225. She shot 76 during the final round.
Portland Rosen was 19th at 228 including a 77 in the final round. Brittany Altomare had the Cavaliers’ best final round score, shooting 74, to move up to 22nd at 229. Lauren Greenlief was 31st at 234. She shot 75 during the final round.
Duke’s Lindy Duncan took medalist honors at 3-under 210. She became the 11th Blue Devil golfer to claim the ACC title and the first since 2008.
The Cavaliers are off until May 10-12 when they compete at one of three NCAA Regional sites for a chance to advance to the NCAA Championships to be held this year in Nashville, Tenn., May 22-25.
Sedgefield Country Club
Par-71, 6,185 yards
1. Duke 280-303-292-875
2. North Carolina 290-302-293-885
3. Florida State 308-294-289-892
4. Wake Forest 298-305-297-899
5. Virginia 303-300-300-903
6. NC State 299-314-296-909
7. Maryland 307-302-308-917
8. Miami 308-318-302-928
9. Boston College 301-317-316-934
1. Lindy Duncan, Duke 70-69-71-210
2. Alejandra Cangrejo, Duke 69-75-72-216
2. O. Kristinsdottir, Wake Forest 70-78-68-216
2. Maria Salinas, Florida State 76-70-70-216
5. Casey Grice, North Carolina 74-73-70-217
6. Allie White, North Carolina 71-75-73-219
7. Jessica Negron, Florida State 76-72-72-220
7. Cheyenne Woods, Wake Forest 76-72-72-220