CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia men’s soccer (4-7-2) fell 2-1 in overtime to Denver (8-2-1) on Monday night at Klöckner Stadium.
23’ – UVA: Daniel Wright (Leo Afonso, Paul Wiese)
80’ – DEN: Kengo Ohira
96’ – DEN: Destan Norman
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Denver had six shots to one for Virginia in the first 20 minutes of the game.
- UVA’s second shot of the night was the first goal of the game. Freshman Paul Wiese ran down the ball on the right side and crossed it to sophomore Leo Afonso, who sent a header to the midfield where graduate student Daniel Wright jumped up and headed it into the top left corner.
- Denver scored the equalizer as Kengo Ohira slipped a shot into the bottom right corner.
- Virginia had another chance when freshman Asparuh Slavov turned and had shot right on goal that was just blocked by the Denver defense.
- The Cavaliers then had a corner kick opportunity just before overtime. Junior Andreas Ueland got a solid header on target, but it was saved.
- Denver scored the game-winner in the 96th minute.
- It was Virginia’s first halftime lead since Maryland on Sept. 6.
- Daniel Wright scored his first goal as a Cavalier. Wright had an assist in UVA’s win over Boston College.
- Paul Wiese recorded his fifth assist of the season.
- Leo Afonso had is first assist of the season and 11th point.
- The Cavaliers held possession 57 percent of the game and led for 60 minutes.
FROM HEAD COACH GEORGE GELNOVATCH
“Tough loss. It is another one of these overtime games where we made a young mistake and it cost us the game. We keep coming up on the wrong end of these overtime games with young mistakes. We are working on it.”
Virginia travels to NC State on Friday, October 15. The match is set for 8 p.m. on ACC Network.