CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s soccer team will host an 11-game home schedule that kicks off with the 2022 season opener on August 25 when the Cavaliers host Xavier at Klöckner Stadium.
The Cavaliers continue their rivalry with former ACC foe Maryland in a neutral site game at Audi Field in Washington D.C., home of D.C. United. The two teams will play on Monday, Sept. 5 at 6 p.m. It will mark the fourth meeting in the last five years at Audi Field. Ticket information for the match will be announced at a later date.
The Cavaliers’ eight-game ACC schedule includes home dates against Virginia Tech (Sept. 9), Notre Dame (Sept. 16), Duke (Oct. 7) and Wake Forest (Oct. 22). Virginia will travel to Syracuse (Sept. 24), Pitt (Sept. 30), Clemson (Oct. 15) and North Carolina (Oct. 28).
Along with Xavier, UVA welcomes Rider (Aug. 29), James Madison (Sept. 1), LaSalle (Sept. 13), American (Sept. 20), Denver (Oct. 4) and Hofstra (Oct. 18) in non-conference action at home.
UVA will host two exhibition matches prior to the start of the 2022 season. The Cavaliers will host Charlotte (Aug. 13) and Bowling Green (Aug. 20) at Klöckner Stadium. Admission to all three exhibitions is free.
- The Cavaliers will play two of the four 2021 College Cup participants, hosting Notre Dame and traveling to reigning National Champion Clemson.
- Virginia and Maryland first played at Audi Field in 2018 and returned again in 2019. The two teams played to a 0-0 draw in the inaugural match and the Cavaliers bested then-No. 1 Maryland, 2-0 in the 2019 meeting .After missing the 2020 season due to the COVID pandemic, the teams returned to Audi Field on Sept. 6, 2021, as then-No. 11 Maryland won 2-1 to tie the series 1-1-1.
By the Numbers
- 16 regular season games (11 home, four away, one neutral site)
- 10 opponents who qualified for the 36-team NCAA Tournament field last season will be on the 2022 UVA schedule (Maryland, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Pitt, Denver, Duke, Clemson, Hofstra, Wake Forest and North Carolina)
- 8 Teams in the final 2021 United Soccer Coaches National Rankings – (No. 1 Clemson, No. 4 Notre Dame, No. 6 Pitt, No. 12 Duke, No. 13 Hofstra, No. 17 Wake Forest, No. 19 Virginia Tech and No. 23 Maryland).
Broadcast & Ticket Information
The broadcast selections for Virginia men’s soccer, including games that will appear on the ACC Network, will be released and posted to VirginiaSports.com once they are determined by the Atlantic Coast Conference and ESPN. Starting times for games should be considered tentative and subject to change based on the broadcast selections.
Ticket information will be announced at a later date.