CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 2 Virginia women’s soccer team (10-2-1, 3-2-0 ACC) continues ACC play at home on Sunday (Oct. 9), hosting Syracuse (8-5-0, 1-4-0 ACC) in a 2 p.m. contest at Klöckner Stadium.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
Sunday’s contest against Syracuse will be streamed on ACCNX which is available through the ESPN app and at WatchESPN.com for customers who have the ACC Network as part of their television subscription. Live stats are also available and links to both the live stream and broadcast are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWomenSoccer).
Tickets are available for Sunday afternoon’s game and fans can purchase single-game tickets in advance online at UVATix.com. Reserved seats purchased in advance are $12 and general admission tickets are $8. UVA athletics strongly encourages fans to avoid lines on game day and purchase their tickets online in advance. Single game tickets will be $15 at the gate on game day for reserved seats if available and $10 for general admission seats. Group packages for parties of 20 or more are $6 and are available for purchase over the phone in advance only.
• Virginia entered the week at No. 2 in the United Soccer Coaches rankings after picking up a 1-0 victory over No. 4 Duke over the weekend – the second for UVA over a top-5 team this season.
• The No. 2 ranking is the highest of the year for UVA and the Hoos are also ranked No. 3 in the RPI.
• Virginia is coming off only its second loss of the season, but the ability to rebound has been strong as under head coach Steve Swanson UVA is 62-8-13 in matches following a loss.
• Cayla White was named national Player of the Week by the United Soccer Coaches after the shutout at No. 4 Duke when she posted six saves to help give UVA the win over the Blue Devils last week.
• White is second in the ACC in save percentage (.868), third in goal against average (0.46) and she is second in the league in shutouts (6). She ranks in the top 25 nationally in all three categories.
• White and Lia Godfrey were both honored by the ACC as Co-Offensive Player of the Week and the Defensive Player of the Week following the win over the Blue Devils on Sunday.
• Haley Hopkins is among the NCAA leaders in game-winning goals (29th – 3), total goals (25th – 8) and points (32nd – 18). She is second in the ACC in goals and points and ranks fifth in GWG.
• Maggie Cagle is tied for third nationally in game-winning assists and is one of only four players to have at least five game-winning assists this season.
• As a team, the Cavaliers enter the matchup ranked in the top 20 nationally in goals (12th – 33) and points (16th – 93) and rank in the top four in the ACC in all both categories.
• Virginia is also 16th nationally in scoring offense with 2.54 goals per game and is third in the ACC.
• Alexa Spaanstra continues to climb the UVA record books 97 career starts which is second most at UVA. She’s closing in on matching 100 starts made by Laurel Ivory.
THE SERIES WITH SYRACUSE
• Virginia and Syracuse meet for the eighth time on Sunday and the Hoos lead the series 7-0-0.
• The Cavaliers won last season’s meeting by a score of 5-0 and the previous meeting 5-3 in the 2020 campaign. Both games were played at Syracuse.
• Virginia is 4-0-0 against the Orange at Klöckner Stadium and have not conceded a goal to the Orange at home.