Story Links

April 17, 2002

Monday, April 8:
Monday’s are typically a rest day for the team. We were all tired after 36 holes of qualifying at Birdwood over the weekend. However, a lot of us were out practicing at Birdwood…trying to improve on the mistakes we made over the weekend.

Tuesday, April 9:
Practice was longer than usual as most guys were trying to fine-tune their games for the upcoming tournaments at Wofford and the “B” team tournament in Delaware.

Wednesday, April 10:
We drove straight after classes to Spartanburg, SC for the Wofford Invitational. As a result, we did not get any practice in on Wednesday. I think the forced rest was good for the team heading into the tourney.

Thursday, April 11:
Our practice round was at 8AM. Coach Moraghan took six guys to the tournament and used the practice round to determine the fourth and fifth spots for the tournament. Scott, Thomas and myself played off for two spots…Thomas and I made it to the lineup and Scott was played as an individual. After the round we spent a little time working on our individual weaknesses and then we went back to the hotel to watch the Masters.
We always have a team meeting the night before a tournament round. Coach Moraghan likes to go through the golf course hole by hole to make sure that everyone has a game plan for the tournament. The meeting did not last very long as we were all clear about the golf course.

Friday, April 12:
We were up bright and early for our 36-hole shotgun start. Luckily for us we were riding in golf carts…especially since it was pouring down rain for most of the first round. We all played well in the tough conditions and were leading the tournament after the first 18 holes. Steve’s opening round of 66 (-6) was immaculate given the wet conditions. We continued to play well in the afternoon round and were in second place as a team, one shot behind East Carolina. Steve and the Jeremy (“Goose”) were tied for second place individually.We were all exhausted after 36 holes of golf. After a great dinner at Fatz Caf?, we all went to bed with one goal in mind…TO PLAY WELL AND WIN!

Saturday, April 13:
Jeremy’s parents gave up a weekend at the Masters to come and watch us play…and we definitely did not disappoint them! We had a great final round. Steve birdied the 18th hole to shoot 65, allowing us to win the tournament by one shot. This win is huge for us as we are on the bubble for making it to NCAA East Regional championships. The team is feeling good about the win and is in a good mindset heading into the ACC Championships next week.

Sunday, April 14:
For [assistant coach] Jenny [Chuasiriporn], Scott [McMahon], Thomas [Lee] and myself there was no time to relax as we were off early Sunday morning for the “B” team tournament in Rohebuth Beach, DE. We were supposed to play a practice round in the afternoon but we were too tired to play. Instead we decided to drive around the golf course in a cart. We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the hotel and watching Tiger Woods win the Masters.

Player Diary Home

Print Friendly Version