Virginia vs. UCLA Post Game Notes
Sept. 5, 2015
Virginia Team Notes
- UVa is now 0-2 all-time against UCLA.
- UVa is now 0-6 all-time against teams from the Pac-12.
- UVa is now 80-37-9 all-time in season openers.
- UVa is now 6-17-2 all-time in road season openers.
- Seven Cavaliers made their first career starts: DE Trent Corney, FB Vincent Croce, ILB Micah Kiser, OG Jack McDonald, TB Taquan Mizzell, FS Kelvin Rainey and CB Wilfred
- Seven Cavaliers made their collegiate debuts against the Bruins: TE Evan Butts, DE Darrious Carter, P Nicolas Conte, Holder Anrew Mackay, DE Chris Peace, OLB C.J. Stalker and TB Olamide Zaccheaus.
- UVa played two true freshmen against UCLA: OLB C.J. Stalker and TB Olamide Zaccheaus.
- With three field goals, Ian Frye moves into a tie for sixth place (Jake McInerney) all-time at UVa with 31 field goals.
- Nicolas Conte booted the first punt of his collegiate career for 56 yards in the first quarter.
- UVa scored on its first drive of the game. In 2014 UVa only scored on a game’s first drive three times.
- UVa scored on a season’s first drive for the first time since recording a touchdown against Richmond in 2012.
Virginia Offensive Player Notes
- Matt Johns had 238 passing yards, giving the junior over 200 passing yards in three of his four career starts.
- Taquan Mizzell finished with eight receptions, giving the junior a catch in 22 straight games.
- Mizzell finished with a career-high eight receptions and a career-high 100 receiving yards.
- Canaan Severin finished with five receptions, giving the senior a catch in 13 straight games.
- Andre Levrone finished with two receptions, giving the sophomore a catch in four straight games.
- Vincent Croce recorded his first career rush in the first quarter for seven yards.
- Croce also recorded his first career reception.
- Evan Butts recorded his first collegiate reception on a 28-yard pass from Matt Johns in the second quarter.
- Olamide Zaccheaus recorded his first collegiate catch from Matt Johns in the second quarter for three yards. The play ended up as an 18-yard gain after Zaccheaus was brought down on a horse collar tackle. UCLA was charged for two horse collar penalties on the afternoon.
- Charlie Hopkins recorded his first reception for the Cavaliers and his third career catch after two previous catches at Stanford.
Virginia Defensive Player Notes